Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HVAC2

DETROIT -- U.S. safety regulators are investigating fuel pumps failures in more than 600,000 diesel Ram trucks that could cause the engines to stall or lose power.

The probe covers Ram 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 heavy-duty trucks with 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engines.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says in documents posted on its website Monday that it received 22 complaints and two field reports of engines stalling due to high-pressure fuel pumps failing. Agency documents say it has no reports of crashes or injuries.

The agency says a review of the complaints found that the engines stop above 25 miles per hour, disabling the trucks.

It says that in November of 2019, Fiat Chrysler (now Stellantis), maker of the trucks, issued a warranty bulletin to dealers telling them to collect fuel pumps on the trucks.

The agency says it's opening the investigation to find out how often the problem happens, what models it covers and whether there's a safety defect. The probe could lead to a recall.

Stellantis said Monday in a statement that it is cooperating with the probe.

HVAC2 , Oct 18, 2021
    Rob S and Tuesdak like this.
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

CP4-2 ?

SnoKing , Oct 18, 2021
  3. HVAC2

Must be but no details.

HVAC2 , Oct 18, 2021
  4. JR

Hard to believe it is without Ford and GM being involved in something similar. Fords been using it since 2010 I think.

Jim W and brucejohnson like this.
  5. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/new...-could-stall/ar-AAPF4vL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

I would have expected a lot more than 22 complaints being filed from all the howling in numerous online venues where it almost sounded like a RAM CTD apocalypse halting the spinning Earth while we all go flying off into space. Back to my knee-chattering, fingernail chomping anticipation of doom in my "late model, large, single machined divot dot in the CP-4 case" 2020 RAM 6.7 with a little over 8,600 miles and still up-counting uneventfully daily...(OOPPPP!!! Now I've done said it!!! JINXXX!!! Crossing fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes, all body parts and hairs):eek::D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    brucejohnson , Oct 18, 2021
  6. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

You are right at the mileage that most failures have occurred at!

SnoKing , Oct 18, 2021
    Tuesdak and nukegm like this.
  7. bcbender TDR MEMBER

LOL.... you ought to be good to the first filter change... did mine at 15k and they looked great... Now it'll fill the next set of filters with metal shavings and it'll be my fault :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    upload_2021-10-18_16-11-30.png #ad

bcbender , Oct 18, 2021
    Topzide, brucejohnson and nukegm like this.
  8. brillmtb1

What pump is in my 2017 3500?

brillmtb1 , Oct 19, 2021
  9. HVAC2

Cp.3. All good.

HVAC2 , Oct 20, 2021
  10. terb

Did they really sell 600,000 heavy duty trucks in 19/20?

terb , Oct 20, 2021
  11. Minnow101

For a major auto manufacturer to change(and basically revert back to the older pump) after just 2 years, it was apparently more than the ‘19 & ‘20 owners knees and teeth chattering. My guess is FCA & now Stellantis employees in risk management and the bean counters in warranty claims were also chewing their fingernail down to the nubs looking at the $10 -$15 thousand in costs in replacing entire fuel systems.
    It’s easy to pooh pooh and diminish the percentage of pump failures. That is right up until it’s your pump that implodes in an intersection or while towing a 20,000 lb trailer.

Minnow101 , Oct 20, 2021
    Tuesdak, SnoKing and Bug Out like this.
  12. Hoefler

I had 30,000 miles on my 19 when I traded it, no issues at all.

Hoefler , Oct 20, 2021
    brucejohnson likes this.
  13. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I am surprise that VW is not involved in this probe also for their Diesel engines. Since the TDI's used the CP4 pump too from approximately 2010 on until the EPA put them out of business in selling diesel engines in the US. I know VW sold more than 600,000 diesel cars in the US, in that that time period from their VW brand and the Audi brand combined.

My wife's 2011 Jetta went 80,000 trouble free miles with her car, before we traded in the Jetta for a new SUV a 2021 Santa Fe Hyundai. She wanted a SUV again for her needs..

Jim W , Oct 20, 2021
    Ozymandias likes this.
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I don't think so... :D

What a stupid investigation over all for 22 complaints.
    Everything man made can and will fail at a certain point.

I'm pretty sure that a hundred times more Diesel Rams stalled with an empty tank within the same time frame.

Ozymandias , Oct 20, 2021
    brucejohnson and bcbender like this.
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

So it is, that CP4.2 bashing is out of control and far from the reality.

Ozymandias , Oct 20, 2021
    Rob S and brucejohnson like this.
  16. bcbender TDR MEMBER

hahaha Im terrified every time I start mine up.

bcbender , Oct 20, 2021
  17. 06CumminsFan TDR MEMBER

After reading all the thread-ology above....
    I have a pretty sharp 2018 3500 Single Rear, Laramie Sport, Aisin/Automatic - bought it new, runs perfect - 45K miles.
    I've considered trading it down to a 19 2500 Laramie due mostly to the rather harsh ride my wife complains about in the 18.
    The 19 is virtually the same truck on options, with a few improvements. The Fuel Pump recall has NOT been done yet, and the dealer is very interested in a trade.
    As dealers are challenged on new HD trucks am I crazy for considering such a thing?
    Or just keep the beauty I have and count my blessings I'm not involved in the Fuel Pump Recall issue? Appreciate your honest comments fellow TDR members!

06CumminsFan , Oct 14, 2022
  18. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@06CumminsFan, What is the air pressure you run in tires that cause the DW to complain about the ride? Unloaded you can 50 ish in the rears with 55 - 60 in the fronts and then air up when towing or carrying a load. My DW was expecting the same but was surprised with the ride after finding the right PSI. Also with bad back, this truck rides great! Made a trip down east coast couple years back and after 13 hrs in truck, got out and was amazed at how good my back was. Try adjusting tires and let us know how it works out.

Topzide , Oct 14, 2022
  19. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Most people overinflated rears and under inflate fronts.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 14, 2022
  20. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Actually 40-45 psi in the rears is just fine. 40 is 2270 per tire and 45 is 2470 per tire.

Given that a 3500 SRW weighs around 3000 on the rear axle, there is still a lot of overhead for day to day use. I ran 42 is mine empty and tires wore just fine, and ride with greatly improved. I ran 60 in the front all the time. 60 is good for 3020 so handles a 5200 front axle just fine.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    SnoKing , Oct 14, 2022
    lpennock likes this.