Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Make It Work

A friend is offering to sell me his 2007 Dodge Cummins 4X4 quad cab for what the dealer is offering him in trade. It has an auto trans and the truck has always been properly serviced. The truck looks cosmetically excellent. Truck has 212,000 miles on it. Here's the problem: He was towing and got a sudden power reduction. He has it checked out and the shop says some injectors are unequal and the computer may have issues. The check engine light is on but the truck still drives. Should I buy it for $6,500 or forget about it? I currently have a gen 1 Cummins (1989) which is only regular cab and is really ugly. Should I do this deal? Thanks for your opinions!

Make It Work , Aug 18, 2019
  2. Wayne M.

Do it! That can all be fixed.

Wayne M. , Aug 18, 2019
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Injectors are around 3000$ - for New ones.

Ozymandias , Aug 18, 2019
  4. seafish

Time for an upgrade....for that price, and particularly if it has been serviced properly, you can't really go wrong....injectors may add $3000 installed and I'll bet the AT might eventually need a rebuild, but it is a MUCH nicer truck then your 89.

BTW you'll likely be able to sell your 89 for the same price as you can buy the 07 for, probably more depending on condition!!!

seafish , Aug 18, 2019
  5. Tuesdak

Is the 2007 a 6.7 with endless expensive emission problems or a 5.9?

Tuesdak , Aug 18, 2019
    Motorhead likes this.
  6. Wayne M.

2007 is a transition year. A ‘07 is a 5.9, production after 1/2007 is considered a ‘07.5 and would be a 6.7 EGR/ DPF truck.
    The OP started off by stating it’s a ‘07, we assumed it was a 5.9.
    If this is a 6.7 truck, the OP should probably pass on it.

Wayne M. , Aug 18, 2019
    TFucili and HPSimpson like this.
  7. jgillott TDR MEMBER

$6500 is a good deal even needing fuel system attention (injectors) for a 5.9L.

jgillott , Aug 18, 2019
  8. Make It Work

It's the 5.9. There is no DPF.

Make It Work , Aug 18, 2019
    HPSimpson and Wayne M. like this.
  9. Make It Work

I have a correction. I thought it was a 2007. It is a 2006. It has the 24 valve 5.9. I called my friend to be sure. I'm not a fan of DPF trucks either. Thanks for the warning about those!

Make It Work , Aug 19, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  10. seafish

Nothing wrong with that, though the 2006 MY were susceptible to TIPM (computerized fuse box ) issues and some failures, but for that price, if needed you will be still be able to afford a rebuilt TIPM as well...they are about $600 for the rebuilt ones

seafish , Aug 19, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  11. Tuesdak

In that case not a bad price for a 4x4 unless it needs a complete engine overhaul or rusted off the frame. Make sure you have a bank note or $,$$$ on hand to buy a new set of injectors and some other items as needed. What is the condition otherwise? Rust? Do you know what codes the computer has/had? Any blowby? Hitting on all 6? Was it a good shop that knows these engines?

Tuesdak , Aug 19, 2019
  12. sag2 TDR MEMBER

A good clean 2006 with those miles will still bring in the 20's here in CA. You have lots of wiggle room at $6500 to make some fairly expensive repairs, again assuming the rest of the truck is clean and rust free.

sag2 , Aug 19, 2019
  13. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

If you don't want it let me know. My son is looking for that exact truck.

Thanks.

BigPapa , Aug 19, 2019
  14. Make It Work

No rust. The only issue right now is my friend may change his mind about selling it to me. He got a sticker shock estimate from the dealer but I think the dealer is trying to rip him off. He said I should fix it then sell it to split the profit. I told him if I buy it I'm keeping it so this offer is now on shaky ground. He looked up the resale and that changed things. Have to wait and see now.

Make It Work , Aug 19, 2019
  15. jgillott TDR MEMBER

It's best to never make financial deals with friends or relatives. Most often, it doesn't end well.

jgillott , Aug 19, 2019
    TFucili, Ozymandias, GrantP and 4 others like this.
  16. GrantP TDR MEMBER

I couldn't agree more. If you want to keep him as a friend just walk away from it.

GrantP , Aug 19, 2019
    jgillott likes this.
  17. Tuesdak

Dealer may just send a high mile truck to auction where the check engine light means low value. Figure if it lost an injector and burned a hole in the engine up you are looking at $10K for an engine and $4500 for injectors. Thus dirt value to the dealer and offer reflecting it. Clearly the dealer would rather they just sell it elsewhere...

You haven't said how it runs so I assume the worst like the dealer did.

Do you have that kind of expensive major repair money available? The 212K on the truck itself means other things will $100 and $50 you here and there.

Maybe your friend should just fix it and DRIVE IT! o_O Otherwise friend takes financial risk alone to fix it and sell it. Beer and turning wrenches is one thing, but, big money coming out of your pocket for someone else's truck isn't a good idea.

Tuesdak , Aug 19, 2019
    HPSimpson and jgillott like this.
  18. EricViviano

Last time I bought an 07 5.9 with the check engine light on the #6 cylinder had broken rings. Be absolutely sure you trust whoever diagnosed it.

Also like other have said, friend and family deals are a hassle. I have had them go good and bad.

EricViviano , Aug 21, 2019
  19. Make It Work

I know it's been a while since I replied to this topic but that's because things got complicated. Everything has now been worked out. The truck was fixed by the seller and I bought it for a great deal considering it's now turnkey. I got it for not much more than the original price but possibly less than if I had to have it fixed myself.

It has the 325 hp high output 5.9 and the auto trans has tow/haul mode. The 4WD works perfectly and so does the A/C. Cosmetically the truck is excellent and it has always been run on full synthetic Rotella. I couldn't be happier with how it performs. What a difference from my old 12 valve. No mods needed to get power from this truck and it's got 4 doors which I need for my 200lb Great Dane. My old truck was regular cab and my huge dog was partially laying on me. Now he has his own space.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I plan to keep this truck for the long term. I don't want to mess with the DPF and SCR systems in the newer trucks.

Make It Work , Sep 15, 2019
    Prairie Dog, AH64ID and TFucili like this.
  20. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Good luck with your new truck.

Timd32 , Sep 15, 2019