Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

After turning 11k, I finally remembered to install the Balance Masters I took off of my '11. I thought the truck was riding pretty smooth but now it is much better. It has had a little bumping at around 40 since new. Force balancing didn't take care of it. The Balance Masters did. Now it is smooth from start to 80. Glad I remembered to install them this time.

Alan Reagan , May 11, 2015
  2. HorseMan-AR

What the heck are balance masters? I may need some - my truck has a terrible drive line vibration, which I think is the tires...nothing seems to work.

HorseMan-AR , May 12, 2015
  3. Gonzo 1066

Gonzo 1066 , May 12, 2015
  4. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

They are dynamic balancers that use a heavy liquid encased in a ring on the outside of the mounting plate. The balance changes with imbalance at different speeds. I had mine on my '11 for 4 years and really liked them. They make a drive shaft balancer as well and I used one of those. Pretty much eliminated the70 mph vibration along with the wheel balancers.

https://www.balancemasters.com/howtheywork.html

The difference between the Balance Masters and Centramatics is the BM uses liquid and Centramatics use the balls. Sometimes with the Centramatics, you can hear the balls at slow speeds. Both are great products.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Alan Reagan , May 13, 2015
  5. Berrigan

Cool idea, what does a set of four cost?

Berrigan , May 13, 2015
  6. Newsa

And how difficult are they to install? I was trying to find a you tube video to see how they are installed

Newsa , May 13, 2015
  7. TCDiesel

I have Centramatic's on everything I own, that they make. I moved them form My 2003 to My 2013 in June of 13. I'm going to check out Balance masters Drive shaft balancer.

TCDiesel , May 13, 2015
  8. seafish

They insatll as a thin disc in between the back of the wheel and the hub…simple as pie, though I DO recommend using a thin coat of antisieze on both sides of the disc to prevent sticking when you want to remove them.

seafish , May 13, 2015
  9. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

A full set is about $380 if I remember right. I bought mine through Carolina Trailer. The only thing you have to do is remove wheel, remove the copper retainer rings on the hubs (grab a raised edge with a pair of dykes (side cutters) and snatch them off), slide on the balancers and replace the wheel. They recommend that all wheel weights be removed. I installed mine this time with the weights on because the weights are glued on and I didn't won't to mess with them that day. They are running just fine. When I pulled them off my '11, the truck had 135,000 on the clock and the tires were still not to the wear bars. The tires were not flat spotted anywhere. The balancers make a big difference.

Alan Reagan , May 18, 2015
  10. Newsa

When you say remove the wheel. You mean, remove the rims?

When you say "back of the wheel," you mean back of the rims?

shot an email to "Carolina Trailers" about installation. Still waiting for a response

Newsa , May 18, 2015
  11. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

I'm not being a smart ***** here but this is how the two are defined:

Rims

Specifically, a rim is part of a wheel; it is the most outer edge of a wheel, and is the location where a tire is attached. The term rims has also been coined as a slang term for fancy or customized wheels on a car, but a rim does not have to look a certain way to be effective. It is used by car lovers everywhere to describe a specific type of wheel: these wheels are almost always bought as an aftermarket purchase, and they can be custom-made for a specific automobile. When used in the slang sense, rims are usually chrome, alloy, or another shiny and durable material. Not everyone refers to these specific styles as rims; some people choose to call them wheels instead, and sometimes, although technically incorrect, the term rims can be used to describe standard factory wheels on a car, sport utility vehicle, or truck.

Wheels

Another difference between rims and wheels is how they operate; a wheel is a round device that rotates to allow a vehicle or other heavy equipment to move. In the case of a car wheel, the wheel should include a rim, and a tire. To be able to rotate, wheels are connected in parallel pairs, through their center, by an axle. The rotating motion moves the vehicle forward or backward, depending on which direction the wheel rotates. The discs go between the wheel (tire and rim combination) and the hub. Think of it as a bologna sandwich. One slice of bread is the hub, the bologna is the balancer, and the other slice of bread is the wheel. They are very thin and sit flat against the hub when the wheel is mounted.

12. Newsa

Now I need a smart *** definition for "drive shaft". Thx !

Newsa , May 18, 2015
  13. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

:-laf Just playing with you, Bro. I called Carolina Trailers and they said they received your email. They were trying to find a mounting video. There is nothing to it. Going back and reading the FAQs, I'm probably going to figure out how to get my wheel weights off. Ughhhhhh. I want to get the drive shaft balancer for the new truck. You have to be careful putting it on. The fluid is contained in a rubber ring. You have to drop the rear of the shaft, work the rubber ring over the u-joints and then put the steel clamp over the rubber. It's a PITA but they work. I tried one for the front shaft but the rubber ring wouldn't go over the u joints on the front shaft.

14. Newsa

Enjoyed your response. Thanks for the info

Newsa , May 18, 2015
  15. Newsa

I bought my unagoose gooseneck not realizing how difficult it would be to weave around the anti lock electronics and brake lines. People said it was easy. But I found it was a bit challenging. So it sat in the shed for 4 months until I called for tech assistance
    and had time to carefully install. Just didn't want them to sit around until I figured it out.

Newsa , May 18, 2015