1. crispyboy

My nephew has a 2018 cab & chassis Ram 3500 truck with a flat bed and a recessed gooseneck ball. I think the truck has a CM steel bed. He bought a fifth wheel camper that came with a B & W companion hitch which came off of a pickup truck.
    Is there a way to retrofit the existing hitch to work?
    Would he need to use a hitch with rail system?
    Thoughts?
    flatbed.jpg #ad

crispyboy , May 6, 2024
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Sell the B&W and get a Reese Goosebox.

AH64ID , May 6, 2024
    Topzide and bcbender like this.
  3. bcbender TDR MEMBER

X2 on the Reese Goosebox.. I have it and my only regret is that I did not buy it sooner!! I don't miss lugging that heavy fifth wheel hitch in and out... I don't miss having to change hitches for my other trailers.... Hands down the BEST upgrade I made to my 5er....

bcbender , May 6, 2024
    Tuesdak likes this.
  4. crispyboy

I have heard that some trailer frames cannot handle the different stresses from the goosebox and will damage the trailer frame. Any truth to this?

What do you think about the Gen-Y version vs the Reese Goose Box?

crispyboy , May 6, 2024
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I believe that's not an issue with the Goosebox and Gen-Y style adapters, but rather the bolt on adapters that don't remove the OE kingpin.

I prefer the Goosebox over the Gen-Y, thou I don't own either. I find the Gen-Y to be sloppy in construction and like the overall design of the Goosebox better.

AH64ID , May 6, 2024
  6. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Goose box is the ONLY adapter that Lippert components (manufacturer of fifth wheel frames) will warranty as a replacement for their kingpin pin box. The goose box has a similar moment arm due to the application point of forward motion and the pivot design, it also has a integrated air suspension that helps with shock loading.. Like I said, hands down the best ride improvement I have.. I will say though, it does take up more space in the bed when turning sharp for "loose items". I would not be interested in the GenY simply due to the construction type (think torsion axles) and lack of warranty support (even though I am out of the warranty period on mine). A simple free body diagram will show how much worse the bolt on extension type adaptors are..

bcbender , May 6, 2024
    Wiredawg, crispyboy and AH64ID like this.
  7. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Took some pictures for you when we went to MCAS for the air show this weekend...

upload_2024-5-14_8-54-31.png #ad

upload_2024-5-14_8-54-59.png #ad

upload_2024-5-14_8-55-40.png #ad

bcbender , May 14, 2024