1. C M McCormick TDR MEMBER

A couple days ago I started my non heated garage kept truck. It was in the mid 50's that day. Truck had not been started in about a week and a half. Doing that time frame it had been down in the single digits for a few nights.

When I started it the engine sounded fine for the first 30 seconds, then there was a sound like 2 gears were trying to mesh together. This went on for a few seconds stopped then again for a seconds or 2. After that never heard it again.

I started the truck yesterday with no issues. Mileage under 27,000.

C M McCormick , Jan 28, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  2. Diesel85 TDR MEMBER

You mean this noise (50 seconds into the video is the cold start):

My work 2020 Cummins does it as well when it's really cold out. I believe it is coming from the power steering/hydroboost pump.

Diesel85 , Jan 28, 2024
  3. C M McCormick TDR MEMBER

@Diesel85 that may be it. I'll have to study on that. I did do a search on "strange noise doing cold start". Didn't see that one.
    Thanks
    Craig

Diesel85 likes this.
  4. Turbo Terry

I have heard a clickie sound also a a time or two on a cold start. Didn’t last long it went away I don’t worry about it I think it was a normal sound No worry’s

Turbo Terry , Jan 28, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Can't imagine a 50 degree day considered cold start conditions.

Cummins12V98 , Jan 28, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  6. C M McCormick TDR MEMBER

When the truck had not been started since it had been in the single digits just a few days before that's cold to me.

Diesel85 likes this.
  7. slowmover

“Cold Start”, is 4-hours.

slowmover , Jan 28, 2024
    Michaelsloft and Diesel85 like this.