1. TimothyLong

I just dropped my truck off at the dealer to get the heater core replaced (I'm not brave enough to attempt that myself and heat would feel nice this time of year) and they told me that there is a new recall out for my truck and it requires PCM reprogramming but they couldn't find any other information. All I could find on it is that it's for 2013 - 2018 Ram 2500 and 3500 diesels and it's emissions related.

Anyone have more information on this?

-Tim

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie QC LB 4x4, Thuren Fabrication adjustable track bar, sway bar kit, and 2" leveling kit, bilstein 5100 shocks, Westin Chrome Ultimate Bull Bar, Weatherguard Saddle Box, Line-X Bed Liner, Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's LT315/70/R17

TimothyLong , Dec 5, 2023
    Diesel85 likes this.
  2. Diesel85 TDR MEMBER

I hate doing heater cores on anything modern. I hate interior plastic bits.

Diesel85 , Dec 5, 2023
    TomBrady and TimothyLong like this.
  3. TimothyLong

I agree about the plastic parts. The few things I have done that I've had to deal with the plastic stuff never goes as planned or advertised. I've come close more than once to calling the local Fire Dept. and asking to borrow their hydraulic spreaders (i.e. The Jaws) for a couple of minutes. I've never had to do a heater core replacement, but this truck is NOT the one to learn on. I saw over on the no engine/transmission topics forum that TMeyers did his this past weekend and posted photos. Looks like he did a great job too.

TimothyLong , Dec 5, 2023
    Diesel85 likes this.
  4. NonFord

Yes, I heard of it and its now for the 2013-2018 6.7 trucks. Its actually an expansion from the 2019 Truck Campaign. I say, No Thank You! You know nothing good will come of it...

NonFord , Dec 5, 2023
    TimothyLong, Diesel85 and 06 Dodge like this.
  5. 06 Dodge

What little I have read about the 67-A recall its mandated for all California trucks, my self if I did not live in that sad state would tell them to not install that update on my truck under penalty of death ;)....

06 Dodge , Dec 5, 2023
    TimothyLong and Diesel85 like this.
  6. 2013megacab

Can I make a case that my plugged DPF is due to their defeat software?

2013megacab , Jan 3, 2024
  7. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@2013megacab, I think we all should say that they need to replace all the emission components on our trucks to make the air cleaner since it seems they're not happy with what they okayed! :rolleyes: I'll be waiting to find out what floats to the surface of this "sewage pond" issue. :confused: Seems that the Cali guys have the "gun" pointed at them to get it done or else! :oops:

Topzide , Jan 3, 2024
    TimothyLong and Diesel85 like this.
  8. TimothyLong

Unfortunately, the dealer applied the update before I could tell them not not to. The two things that I have noticed since getting it (well, 3 if you count the fact that I now have heat), is that it has some rough idle spells when then the engine is cold that it didn't have before and I've noticed that lifting off of the throttle at slow speeds (again, mostly when it's cold), my truck's forward momentum just absolutely dies (like driving into sand or something), where before it would glide and I'm not going fast enough for the e-brake to engage. Overall power and fuel mileage seem to be okay so far, but it's only been a few weeks.

@2013megacab, it's interesting that you mention a DPF issue. I have to take mine back in to have the EGR cooler by-pass valve replaced. The cable that actuates it snapped and you can't just get a new cable. You have to replace the entire assembly. The dealer was concerned about it due to possible DPF related issues. Again, I've noticed no difference in engine performance or regen cycles since the codes for it, P040B and P24A5, first appeared. However, now that this recall has been applied, what you say has me a bit worried, but it's getting taken care of next week. So we'll see.

TimothyLong , Jan 3, 2024
    Tuesdak and Diesel85 like this.
  9. Turbo Terry

I justread a fairly long and seemingly accurate article about the emissions recall.. It stated the 2020-2023 trucks would not be in the recall

Turbo Terry , Jan 10, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  10. endoscott

Any details about that recall is going to do to our trucks??

endoscott , Jan 10, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  11. Turbo Terry

Nothing is said about that at all which is very strange . Maybe something will be out soon

Diesel85 likes this.
  12. Turbo Terry

Seems to be just a California thing but the number of recalls seems like a lot just to be a California thing

Diesel85 likes this.
  13. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

14. cricha TDR MEMBER

I received my recall notice. How would I know if I had one of the trucks with the "Defeat Device"? I'm assuming the defeat device is just a software toggle in Wytech.

cricha , Jan 10, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  15. sag2 TDR MEMBER

It is part of the software. Even with the latest news reports they don't really tell you anything other than excess NOx. That means not enough EGR or DEF. That is why the flash fixes the problem.

sag2 , Jan 11, 2024
  16. 06 Dodge

As it was passed on to me it has something to do with engine timing when the engine is cold to help reduce Nox, based on Timothlylong statement above sounds right in line with my understanding of what I was told could happen, so ya all can thank CA CARB if your engine has symptoms like his after having the recall inflicted on you

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    06 Dodge , Jan 11, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  17. GSykes TDR MEMBER

Took my truck in this morning for the 67A recall. Was there about an hour, noticed no difference in performance or drivability on my 35 mile trip back home. Time will tell...

GSykes , Jan 11, 2024
    Tuesdak, JLandry, Signal73 and 2 others like this.
  18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Did they pay you for your time and fuel???

Cummins12V98 , Jan 13, 2024
    06 Dodge and Diesel85 like this.
  19. GSykes TDR MEMBER

Nope, they didn't. I didn't even ask for a loaner due to the short time frame. Wife and I went to lunch afterward then back home. Being retired time isn't an issue, I work at my pace and schedule. Be safe out there.

GSykes , Jan 13, 2024
    HPSimpson, JLandry and Diesel85 like this.
  20. MarkEagleUSA TDR MEMBER

Interesting video of post-recall performance,

MarkEagleUSA , Jan 14, 2024
    jray and Diesel85 like this.