Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTotts

Well I have reached that time in my trucks life where I need to start replacing things. first and formost is exhaust system. the options are mind numbing! oem or aftermarket, cat back? turbo back? bigger? smaller? (NOT) what brand... ..... to use the cat or put a test pipe in its place? Sheesh! So that brings me to the forum and its endless supply on experiences and knowledge. I would like to accomplish a couple things with the replacement, I would like to gain some miles to the gallon and I would like to NOT have a real noisy truck, I know that real noisy is subjective:-laf. Please share your thoughts with me

Thanks
    Fred T
    we are talking about the 04 here not the 01.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    FTotts , Aug 6, 2012
  2. fox

I just changed mine out. I went with Diamond eye on E-bay.

Not particulate filter now.

Their system--4" with muffler has a nice mellow sound. Easy install.

It feels like it freed up some mid range power.

4" is all you need unless you plan to go over 700hp.

fox , Aug 6, 2012
  3. Motorhead

If they are smogging or going to smog in your area then leave the cat on. Very little power gain (maybe 2hp) with it removed. 4inch is plenty. Go stainless if you live in road salt region.

Motorhead , Aug 6, 2012
  4. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I second the idea of stainless. I have a 304 stainless MBRP on the '04. 5 and a 304 stainless Silverline on the '07. Both look like new, even with all the salt here.

jgillott , Aug 6, 2012
  5. SWithrow

I put a Flo Pro aluminized (turbo back) at 30k and I have over 200k on the truck and still sounds good. Also I know the 03-04's (Not 04. 5) did not come with the catalytic converters(Don't know about California)</SPAN>

SWithrow , Aug 6, 2012
  6. pjorlando

I run 4 inch turbo back out to duals. All stainless. I have an Aero resonator in place of my cat, and the muffler that came with the MBRP Cool Duals. With the turn downs it has a nice sound which isn't bad at all, now my wife comes on my trips with no complaints of noise. Since it passes the wife test, all is good. I don't believe an 04 has a cat.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    pjorlando , Aug 6, 2012
  7. FTotts

Welp, I can honestly say I do not know if I have a cat or not. I do have to smog check every two years. I think the test pipe is a great idea. My son is pushing an MBRP stainless turbo back with no muffler. As is has been said it must pass the wife test. SWMBO has already said she dont want a noisy truck.

FTotts , Aug 6, 2012
  8. HBarlow

There are dozens of choices available in the aftermarket but none of them, regardless of price you pay, will do anything more than change the sound level. A five inch, six inch, even eight inch pipe from turbo back will not add horsepower or fuel economy regardless of all the exaggerated claims you read or hype in the glossy magazine ads. The OEM Ram exhaust system, with the possible exception of the federally-mandated emissions junk, is completely satisfactory for the power output levels of stock, unmolested trucks.

I removed the muffler on the '06 that I owned and replaced it with a straight pipe because I liked the diesel truck sound but it did nothing for power or fuel economy.

Your truck, your money, install what you prefer. It's up to you and your emissions check station to determine if its right.

HBarlow , Aug 7, 2012
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I put the silverline stainless turbo back on my 04 sig truck. I went with the 04. 5 4 inch and went with the 04. 5 pac brake so I would have a 4" all the way out rather than 3. 5", I pull 10 ~ 15 k and the sound is not too loud, and I think it is about the same or better sound running empty. For the price it was well worth it

bcbender , Aug 7, 2012
  10. DNDracing TDR MEMBER

FTotts,

I have a 2005 4x4 quad cab short bed automatic, with 150,000+ miles on it, and the exhaust system from the muffler back fell off, and the muffler was junk (lovely Michigan roads, and the salt they use to keep them "clear"). I drive the truck occasionally, but my wife is the primary driver of the truck, and drives it to and from work daily. Her request when I started shopping for an aftermarket exhaust system was she didn't want it "noisy like your black truck was". (Note: I had a 95 3500 with a straight pipe, that sounded like a semi. I loved it, she did not).

When I started to research what I wanted to do, I like you, was over whelmed with all the info out there, and how the opinions seemed to be all over the place with who liked what. Finally, in June, 2012, I put a 4" turbo back MBRP 409 stainless (wanted the 304, could not spring for the extra $$$$) single exhaust. Installation was very easy, and I was EXTREMELY impressed with the fit and finish of the kit, all the kit hooks fit right into the stock hangers, and everything went together very well. It took me about 4 hours to remove the old and bolt in the new with the truck on a hoist, and with my Dad's help. I did replace the u-bolt muffler clamps that came with the kit for some stainless Torca accu-seal clamps.

I ditched my catalytic converter, but I live in Michigan, a state with no inspection or emission check requirements. Over the past 6 weeks, I've felt no difference in power, and measured no difference in MPG (my wife manually clocks MPG every tank, god bless her). I did see my EGT's drop about 40 - 50 degrees, but that is probably due to elimination of the CAT, not the exhaust system.

Now to the all important subjective wife noise test. I installed the exhaust system on a Sunday, the first text I got on Monday morning was from my wife complaining about the noise, and that "she hated it". I personally like the sound, but when the truck shifts into overdrive at 45 - 50 MPH, there is an low pitch drone you can definitely hear in the truck. It goes away by 55MPH. Cruising at 55 or 60 MPH, or doing 70 - 80 on the highway, the new exhaust sounds no different than the stock exhaust. During acceleration it sounds really good, it is just the 45 - 50 MPH drone after it goes into OD. This drone last a little longer when I'm pulling a trailer. My wife has gotten to the point that she says she is used to it (which I will take), so the exhaust is staying.

Overall, I love my decision, and would recommend the kit to anyone. I also love the sound, and think it is perfect (my father had the same opinion as well). There is definitely a drone that was not there with the stock set up, but as I said, it's in a very small window, and tolerable... my wife may tell you otherwise, and based on that if you do not want it noisy, replace it with a Donaldson, or the stock stuff, because you will probably not see any performance gains with most anything you buy.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    DNDracing , Aug 7, 2012
  11. FTotts

DNDracing

thanks for the insight, I still have no idea whatI am going to do. my kneejerk reaction is an MBRP something and maybe a new programmer, like and edge Juice but I am not sure, I am currently runing an hypertech and really like the way it drives but I think there is more MPG to be had inthere somwhere.

Thanks again
    Fred

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    FTotts , Aug 8, 2012
  12. DNDracing TDR MEMBER

I have an older Bully Dog programmer on my truck, and typically run it 'stock', because I'm afraid of eating up my 48RE (I will turn it up when pulling a load). When I do pick the higher settings, there is a NOTICEABLE difference in power, the truck is much quicker, and sets you back in your seat a little harder. I have run in a few different modes for an entire tank of fuel, and have never seen any MPG gains. I'm sure if I messed around with it I might be able to get a few more out of it.

My neighbor has a almost the exact truck I have, but gold in color, and he runs some type of edge. He claims he sees MPG improvement, but I'm not sure how much. I don't have any reason to suspect he's a liar, but have nothing to back up his claim either. Seems with my truck no matter what I do I get 17. 5 - 19MPG empty, and 12 - 13 MPG pulling my trailer (about 9500 #'s). If you find out where it is at, let me know.

DNDracing , Aug 8, 2012
  13. Wingate

I have the 304 stainless Silverline... Cat is MIA... No drone, no hp increase, and no fuel mileage increase... just a better sound.

Wingate , Aug 8, 2012