Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSzewczyk TDR MEMBER

I just had my jake brake installed by the dealer and got no manual. As I'm new to both diesels and exhaust brakes, I was hoping that some the more experienced drivers can help me out with the when to use, when not to use questions as well as any cautions that I need to be aware of. I pull a 32 foot Jayco travel trailer around. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

JSzewczyk , Mar 13, 2007
  2. Cattletrkr

There is no wrong time to use it, except for on ice. Other than that, whenever you feel like flipping the switch, have at it. :)

Cattletrkr , Mar 13, 2007
  3. CSkal

What he said!

I use it all the time, I only use the service brakes to complete my stops at low speeds. As far as ice and snow go, I find that in 2 HI the back end can kick around on me :eek: , but when in 4WD, I get equal braking front and rear that works nicely. :)

CSkal , Mar 13, 2007
  4. ScottLewis

Go to the Jacobs Brake web site and download the Driving Instructions Manual, as well as parts manual and other info. It's not a lot of info you can't get elsewhere but it is condensed and brand specific.

www.jakebrake.com

Dan

ScottLewis , Mar 13, 2007
  5. klenger

6. JSzewczyk TDR MEMBER

thanks for the info. I looked on Dodge's web site put could not find the manuals.

JSzewczyk , Mar 13, 2007
  7. jelag

As a distributor of pacbrake for the past 20 years... . we suggest to all customers they leave it on... and learn to turn it on and off with their foot resting on the throttle... . This has several benefits.....

1 - you learn the ins and outs so to speak of how it works... . and when its best to use it... . we have 6 trucks and the brake is left on 100% of the time... our drivers have learned to use the brake in town when in traffic and on the highway when going down hill...

2 - seamless operation with the ECM and your full understanding will lengthen the life of your service brakes, and have them ready when you need them... one of our trucks, an 04 went 160K miles pulling a 20K trailer most of the time... and we got 100K miles on trailer brakes... .

3- when you understand its function and how it effects safety, you can use it correctly... . its nothing more than a tool to improve brake life, and brake safety margin... ...

Hope this helps...

jelag , Mar 13, 2007
  8. HBarlow

Just turn it on and leave it on with two exceptions. One, the limited traction situation mentioned above. The exhaust brake can cause loss of rear wheel traction. The other time not to use it is if you do a cold start up and the exhaust brake is engaged and then you decide to shut off the engine. You don't want to shut it off when the egt is pushed up around 400+ degrees because the exhaust brake is closed.

Harvey

HBarlow , Mar 13, 2007
  9. JMichelson

Use it.

Mine is on all the time. I too only use the service brakes to make a complete stop. I set the cruise control towing or not and let the e-brake control the speed downhill. It was one the best of the best additions I have put on the truck. I have a 6 speed and it took a little time to get used to shifting down when slowing down to fully utilize the e-brake. You do have to be careful down shifting to slow down, if you don't bring the RPMs up before letting out the clutch, it can be hard on the clutch. I even use mine in no Compression Brake zones. :D Jeff

JMichelson , Mar 14, 2007