Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amspipe84

We have a Ram 2500 6.7 ,120,000 miles.Our heater wasn’t working so dealer is replacing heater core and evaporator coil.Is this common?

amspipe84 , Jan 21, 2021
  2. RammerJam

It's not 'common' but it happens on even newer vehicles. All makes, all models.

Why are you using the Dealer? I'd shop it. Try an A/C repair place or a good Indie. It's a 'dash' job and they're spendy.... And, yeah. While they're in there might as well replace the evaporator core, too and check the blend door or maybe even replace it. Dash jobs ain't fun.

ETA: Have you checked you cabin filter? Do you have one? If not, I'd give serious thought to putting one in. I have the '17 and mine came with it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    RammerJam , Jan 21, 2021
  3. amspipe84

amspipe84 , Jan 21, 2021
  4. RammerJam

Well said :)

RammerJam , Jan 21, 2021
  5. amspipe84

We happen to be in a hurry for a camping trip and they diagnosed ,I was in a bind.I was surprised at such an early time replacement.After research I’m wondering if they have at one time topped off the coolant with the wrong type and accelerated the problems

amspipe84 , Jan 21, 2021
  6. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Before you spend a bunch of money have you tried to confirm the diagnosis? Is there hot coolant present on both heater hoses? Hot on one side, cool(er) on the other? Is the air flow normal?
    If they want to replace the heater core there can only be two things wrong. No coolant flow, or the core is plugged with dirt, dog hair, or debris. If the core is plugged have you ever changed the coolant? Mixed it with different brand?
    You can disconnect the hoses and run a garden hose backward through the core to see if it is plugged. That is free, and takes a couple minutes.
    If it is plugged with hair etc. there is only one way to fix it, pull the core and clean/replace. There is no need to replace the evaporator core, they rarely fail. However if it has debris, it should be cleaned. If your truck does not have a cabin filter they should install one using the Geno's kit, or just order the door and cut the hole.

sag2 , Jan 21, 2021
    JR and DonFitzwater like this.
  7. Ltngdrvr

Not common at all for this failure under normal circumstances.
    And, very possible this is not really what is wrong with it as stated above.
    They could replace all that stuff and still have the same issue.
    Who gets to pay for that? I'll give you one guess...

Ltngdrvr , Jan 21, 2021
    DonFitzwater likes this.
  8. Axel

I had the same issue last year. Filling with CLR and letting it sit and flush did nothing for it. Had to replace heater core and it was working again.
    I had only around 100K miles at the time....So I think it might be a common problem.....

Axel , Jan 24, 2021
  9. TMyers

I took my core hoses loose and flushed mine with a water hose full blast and an air compressor. I flushed it both ways several times. It was full of sludge and some white plastic like shavings. It fixed my no heat problem. I'm convinced the dealership mixed HOAT coolant with my OAT during my water pump recall.

TMyers , Jan 24, 2021
  10. Ltngdrvr

The coolant they used should be listed on the invoice.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 24, 2021
  11. crazy jerry

i would never take a dealers (or any other shops) diagnosis at face value without verifying it myself or having a couple other independant shops corraberate the dealers findings. the mechanical aspect of the heating system is not complex and can be investigated at home with very little vehicle knowledge

crazy jerry , Jan 24, 2021
  12. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

True BUT did the tech use the appropriate coolant???

Cummins12V98 , Jan 25, 2021
  13. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I did a reset as shown by WireDawg and my heat started working as it should. Others I have read about do a flush of the heater core both ways.

14. Ltngdrvr

He would have used what the parts department gave him, and that is what they would have invoiced.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 25, 2021
  15. RammerJam

Question: Does coolant flow through the heater core at all times or just on demand??

RammerJam , Jan 25, 2021
  16. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Not to get too deep here but I was given 3/4 gallon by a tech, didn't come from the parts Department.

17. Ltngdrvr

All the time.

Ltngdrvr , Jan 25, 2021
    RammerJam likes this.
  18. firefighter_2000

Could you give us that info? I’ve searched & cant find it.

firefighter_2000 , Jan 27, 2021
  19. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

WireDawg will you give firefighter the steps to do a reset.

Cummins12V98 , Jan 27, 2021
  20. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

My heat stopped working this fall also. I was some what successful back flushing with just water an air. I happen to know for a fact that when the dealer did my water pump replacement recall they topped the system off with orange juice. Not the purple it had. I had the dealership flush the system and re fill it with the right stuff but I think the damage was done.

EDankievitch , Jan 27, 2021