Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

Just thought someone might be interested imo [​IMG]#ad
    I installed the Edelbrock IAS shocks on my Ram this last weekend. I verified the stock shock were as I expected JUNK. The stock rears being especially cheap/poorly valved.

The Edelbrocks imo -

The Good - The smaller bumps and irregular road surfaces are greatly smoothed. The cornering is greatly improved in slower corners, slightly better in over 40 MPH corners.

The Bad - The larger bumps and dips that cause the real kidney damage and unhappy looks on the wifes face seem to be no better and possibly worse in some cases. Usually the type that tend to "launch" the truck. One dip on the road home from work used to launch me up off the seat against the seat belts now does nearly the same with the rear wheels possibly leaving the ground. Not good in iffy traction situtations going around corners.

The Ugly - Getting the factory shocks off! [​IMG]#ad
    The rears have large lock nuts that are nearly inaccessable. In the front, the top nut and shaft did not fit any of my US or Metric sockets. I had to pull the shocks up through the engine bay with the towers attached. The driver side needed the shock compressed and held together with a piece of safty wire to accomplish the removal past the brake booster. Passenger side was easy once the air box was removed.

I am glad I changed them, but would probably try Rancho 9000s next time as I have had good results with them in the past. I've heard the Monroes are good, but I've used them in the past and found they work great, but wear out very fast - less than 30k miles.

Again, this is just my take - Your mileage may vary [​IMG]#ad

------------------
    2001 HO 6 speed Regular Cab SLT 4x4 3. 54 anti spin 2500. Used for the daily grind and sneaking away to some secret Baja beaches toting a cabover

Archive , Sep 12, 2000
  2. Archive

Archive , Sep 12, 2000
  3. Archive

Dane Thanks for the honest feedback on your shocks. Ironically a friend of mine has Rancho 9000's on his ram and was complaining about the same thing you have with yours and he made the comment that he was gonna try the Edel's until he read your post. I haven't owned a set of Edel's and he knows how much bad luck I've had with the last 4 sets of Ranchos in my other 4x4's. We drove my truck to the same spot on the nearby Hwy. that has a bad dip in it. Needless to say he's ordering a set of Heckthorns next week.

I've switched to Heckethorn Nitro 9000's on the last 3 4x4's and i haven't had one complaint. <font color=blue>

------------------
    '99 2500HD Quad Cab 4x4, Intense Blue Pearlcoat, Fully loaded w/Agate leather interior, 5-speed, 4. 10 Limited Slip, Skyjacker Leveling kit, Heckethorn Nitro 9000 shocks w/dual End to End steering stabilizers, 35x12. 50x16. 5 BFG/AT KO's on 9. 75x16. 5 Eagle 589 Aluminum Wheels, 9004 Cool Blue's, Silencer Ring removed, fog lights relay pulled, No muffler, No resonator, 4" straight pipe, Northwest Customs Stainless Steel Rocker Panels, Steel Horse Stainless Steel Nerf Bars, K&N Filter,Custom POWEREDGE W/HOT#3 Program, Grover Air Horns, autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges.

Archive , Sep 12, 2000
  4. Archive

Anyone tryed bilstein's on the Dodges?
    I put a set on my tough riding Ford, on that they work super. I had Rancho's on it before, they would blow the seals and loose the oil all to frequently. I bought the Bilsteins from eshocks.com - good people to do business with and a good guarantee on the shocks.
    Just MHO [​IMG]#ad
    CPFF

------------------
    CUMMINS POWERED FAST FORD

Archive , Sep 12, 2000
  5. Archive

I put Monroe Sensetracs (sp?) on mine at 40k. ~ They smooth out the dips and humps pretty well as can be expected for a 3/4 ton truck. But they don't do much at all for the small bumps and irregularities in the road. The truck still jiggles like a fat girl's fanny. I'd almost rather have a stiff ride and no jiggle. For the truck that is. Fat bottom girls can jiggle. I think there's a song about that. I thought the Edelbrocks were supposed to open up on the harsh bumps. maybe they'll ease up with a few miles on them. Gabriel VST shocks are supposed to do the same thing for around $20 each. Don't know about life expectancy. I might try a set to see if I like the concept before I go $100 each for the Edelbrocks.

------------------
    98 2500 CC 4X2 12v 5spd 4. 10
    97 Dodge Stratus 150HP
    92 Harley Fatboy, Dynojet fuel management, Supertrapp 2-1

Archive , Sep 13, 2000
  6. Archive

Tried Edelbrock IAS, sent them back, bottomed to easy. Got Bilsteins now, Perfect.

------------------
    2001 5 speed SWB SLT Larmie White 4x4, Isspro boost and pyro gauges, 4" exhaust with walker muffler, DDI injectors with a HOT PE box for good pleasure.
    1980 CJ7 350, SM465

Archive , Sep 13, 2000
  7. Archive

Swayse,
    What were you doing to bottom out the suspension?

Brian

Archive , Sep 13, 2000
  8. Archive

Brian, I think Swayze would be a good candidate for the shocks on the SCORE trucks. Would you say he's been getting some "AIR TIME"? [​IMG]#ad

I know I'm rough on my other trucks,but Geez!!

Archive , Sep 13, 2000