1. Eatfresh

My 04 24v 6sp is rolling massive amounts of smoke. Its smoking bad enough to turn the automatic headlights on vehicles behind me in traffic if I hit it at lower rpm in 3+ gear. Bought the truck used earlier this year has had the smoke issue all along. Since buying I added K&N intake and banks monster ram manifold. The truck came with 5" straight exhaust, BD turbocharger, aftermarket fuel system, and smarty tuner. I am wondering if the heavy smoke could just be due to oversized injectors installed by previous owner or if maybe boost leak or possibly bad injectors?! I realize it could possibly be any of these but looking for advice before getting new injectors for no reason I don't like that amount of smoke but if its just from over sized "but properly functioning" injectors I can live with it. The extra air from the intake&manifold has helped a lot with the coal in general smoke is thinner but still smokes like a train if you get on it from low rpm and still lightly smokes at any rpm above idle. Thank you for any suggestions

Eatfresh , Sep 15, 2020
  2. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

The first two things you need to do is find out what injectors you have and get rid of the K&N. Put the Smarty back to stock and start from there.

BigPapa , Sep 15, 2020
    BSeyler and Mikey-KE7LBB like this.
  3. Mikey-KE7LBB

Did you get the tuner with the truck?? If so, change to a lower setting, add a bit of timing, and keep the RPM a little higher to clean it up.

Ditch the K&N filter before you dust your engine!!

Mikey-KE7LBB , Sep 15, 2020
  4. Eatfresh

I have played around with the smarty, currently it's on stock level, but when put on 1,3,5, with the advanced timing smoking does decrease but still no where near what it should be like. And yes the smarty came with the truck. What's the problem with the K&N?

Eatfresh , Sep 15, 2020
  5. Eatfresh

And thank you both,

Eatfresh , Sep 15, 2020
  6. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Well, I'll bite...

First, it's totally unnecessary and offers no benefit in power or drivability. It's been proven in extensive dyno and real life testing by members here. The factory air filter flows plenty of air for almost all applications up to 500-600HP and provides MUCH better filtration.

The life of your turbo and engine depend on clean air. The K&N's claim to fame is that it flows more air. In order to do this, the filter media (basically oiled gauze) allows much more and larger particles of dust and dirt through to first the turbo and then your cylinder head and combustion chambers. It pretty much acts like sand paper or sand blasting.

Do a simple search here for K&N. You'll find PLENTY of reading.

BigPapa , Sep 15, 2020
    AH64ID, BSeyler and DavidC like this.
  7. Mikey-KE7LBB

Mikey-KE7LBB , Sep 16, 2020
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Tell them that every dust that passes the Air filter will be collected in the DPF, that is the next heavy bill waiting to show up.

No one mentioned that aspect of the chepo air filters.

Ozymandias , Sep 16, 2020