1. RBeard TDR MEMBER

So, I'm driving along and I hear a chime, look at the dash and there's a check gages light on. Look over and voltage gage in pegged at 8 volts, pulled over and turned off engine, popped the hood and belt is still on.
    restarted and after 10 seconds, gage back to 14 volts, drive 5 more miles and ding, gage at 8 again. I'm 2 miles from home, so I hooked'em to the garage, put a volt meter on battery with engine running=12.55 volts. Gage still at 8. Pulled alt. off and parts store tested it=Passed the test.
    Anybody heard of this before and what do I look for.

RBeard , Dec 30, 2023
  2. Chief USA TDR MEMBER

Did you verify that the intake grid heaters were not improperly activating or stuck on when you were seeing the low voltage?

Chief USA , Dec 30, 2023
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Check the crossover cable, I’m not certain about 2nd gens but on 3rd gens the alternator charges the passenger side battery and the ECM monitors voltage from the drivers side battery.

AH64ID , Dec 30, 2023
    brucejohnson and Ozymandias like this.
  4. RBeard TDR MEMBER

Intake heater is not stuck on. Both batteries show 12.55v+/- before restart and 12.16+/- after start. FYI alternator big post reads 79V AC while running. I'm assuming the 2 wire plug on the rear of the alternator is the control circuit from the ECM, I'm thinking of trying to check the integrity/continuity of the wiring, provided I can track the wire color in the loom.

RBeard , Dec 30, 2023
  5. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Check the condition of the 140 amp fuse for the alternator. If this fuse is blown, it is impossible for the alternator to charge. The fuse is located in the PDC (power distribution center). Even if the alternator is not charging, battery voltage (DC volts) should be present at the alternator output terminal whether the engine is running or not running.

Check that the alternator output terminal is clean and tight as well as the connections at the 140 amp fuse. Check battery connections, too.

- John

petersonj , Dec 30, 2023
    brucejohnson likes this.
  6. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

I am a little rusty in my alternator functions, but the 79 VAC doesn't look right - too high by a lot. Usually should be less than 0.1 VAC ripple at the output.

brucejohnson , Dec 30, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  7. Humblecowboy

OK, now I'm confused, in my research on my 99 I learned it was the PCM that contro0lled the output and not the ECM so could somebody verify was learnt wrong, please? BTW the alt charging the passenger side is correct on the gen 2 trucks also. I'm trying to trouble shoot a voltage drain on mine and that's how I found out about the charging system.

Humblecowboy , Dec 31, 2023
  8. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Can't help with the diagnostics on this Gen truck, but make sure the you clean all the connection points, including the fuse! Corrosion will steal voltage and cause all sort of problems! I think ECM and PCM terms are used interchangeably on your Gen truck. Good luck on the repairs.

Topzide , Dec 31, 2023
  9. GAmes TDR MEMBER

ECM-Engine Control Module
    PCM-Powertrain Control Module.

Two separate modules with different duties. The 12 valves only have a PCM.

Also, on 12 valve trucks the alternator charges the driver's side battery. The only leads from the passenger side are ground and the hot wire across the top of the radiator.

OP, one other thing to check is the battery temp sensor. Not likely in this case but it doesn't cost anything to check it with a multimeter.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    GAmes , Dec 31, 2023
    brucejohnson likes this.
  10. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@GAmes, Yes, I know the difference and was pointing out that the terms are thrown around without using them correctly! It's hard to keep up with all the different modules that are put into vehicles today let alone just a few years back!
    The OP might want to do the upgrade of the cross top of radiator wire to passenger battery to help with charging and any noise issues that may be there.

Topzide , Dec 31, 2023
  11. petersonj TDR MEMBER

People may use the terms "PCM" and "ECM" interchangeably on this era of trucks, but they are not the same and each have their own specific duties. In general the PCM controls the charging system, some automatic transmission functions, HVAC, etc. The ECM controls engine functions only.

The battery temperature sensor is located under the driver side battery and is wired directly to the PCM. It provides information to the voltage regulator inside the PCM. In turn, the PCM considers this information and operates the field circuit accordingly inside the alternator. The determined alternator output voltage (controlled by the PCM's internal voltage regulator) is wired directly to the driver side battery.

If there is an open circuit between the alternator output and the driver side battery, then voltage measurement at the alternator output could be very erratic and high (AC or DC).

- John

Sorry @Topzide , we were writing our posts at the same time.

upload_2023-12-31_6-11-21.png #ad

upload_2023-12-31_6-16-53.png #ad

petersonj , Dec 31, 2023
    Topzide, brucejohnson and BigPapa like this.
  12. GAmes TDR MEMBER

They wouldn't be used incorrectly if readers don't point out the inaccuracy as a matter of course. My favorite is the Engine Speed Sensor (ESS) on a 12 valve that is often called a CPS (crankshaft position sensor). It doesn't care what the position of the crank is, it simply measures damper revolutions. But even Genos lists it as a speed/crank position sensor.

GAmes , Dec 31, 2023
    BigPapa and AH64ID like this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Ah yes, I forgot that there were separate ECM’s and PCM’s on 2nd gen’s.

To make everything more confusing on 4th gen’s they have gone to calling them PCM’s not ECM’s.

Module, not unit.

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2023
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

With 79V AC that Alternator is shot, no matter what. End of trouble shooting.

Ozymandias , Dec 31, 2023
    brucejohnson, BigPapa and AH64ID like this.
  15. GAmes TDR MEMBER

Thanks. Corrected.

GAmes , Dec 31, 2023
  16. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

That's what I was inferring...
    Then this passed test is what didn't make sense...

brucejohnson , Dec 31, 2023
  17. RBeard TDR MEMBER

I'll check everything that ya'll have suggested, if no luck, I'll get a new alt. and see what happens.

RBeard , Dec 31, 2023
  18. RBeard TDR MEMBER

140 amp fuse is blown, but why. (although it is 23.5 yrs. old) All connections were checked, crossover wire checked, Do I put another one in and see if it blows(they're only $5). I haven't jump started anything or done anything that would draw that much amperage(except grid heaters). I keep block heater plugged in when it's < 50 to help the old girl crank and lube flowing.

RBeard , Dec 31, 2023
    brucejohnson likes this.
  19. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

Yes. Get a couple just in case the first one blows again. Then the process of elimination begins.

brucejohnson , Dec 31, 2023
  20. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I assume that you have reinstalled your alternator and associated wire connections. If you have, do not install the fuse. Instead, using a test lamp, clamp one end to the positive post of a battery and touch other end to the alternator output terminal. The test lamp should NOT glow. If it does, then there is likely a diode shorted to ground in the alternator, or the alternator output wire is shorted to ground (not as likely).

If the test lamp doesn't glow, all is well. Install the new 140 amp fuse. That fuse is not there to protect the alternator. It is there in case something shorts to ground between the battery and the alternator. If the fuse wasn't there and a short to ground occurred, an engine fire could easily be started as you have two large batteries there to provide the necessary high current flow for quite awhile.

If there doesn't appear to be a direct cause for the fuse to blow, I don't think I would be too concerned. It could be that the fuse is tired because it is over 20 years old. It could that the alternator output was accidentally shorted to ground during an oil filter change..., it would take much a direct short to ground to blow the fuse.

- John

petersonj , Dec 31, 2023
    brucejohnson likes this.