1. Archive

Hey guys, One day I had a wheel balancer salesman contact me from Hoffman, a well known name in balancers.
    He told me how great their balancers are, and that they are the only balancers on the market that can repeat after a remount on the machine.
    So not letting him know that I had been down that road many times before,I told him if that was true, I would throw away my Snap On Balancer and buy the Hoffman.
    I drove to the nearest shop that he had sold one to recently, with one of my dually wheels for him to balance, he dynamically balanced the wheel and tire, then I dismounted it from the machine and remounted it so he can spin it up to check balance, Guess what? the wheel was out 3. 75 ounces on one side and 1. 75 on the other, so we loosened it, turned it,tightened it and spun it up again, result totally different readings again!
    This guy was stumped!
    I have since stumped three other spin balancer companies with the same problem (No repeatability)And no Answers!
    But what I did find, after several hours playing with my Snap On Wheel Balancer is you can do a static balance by either splitting the weight inside and out or putting all the weight on one side of the wheel, it will repeat every time, and it won't shake on the truck!
    The moral of the story is that you can't trust machines or the inexperienced users.
    If you want to balance your dually wheels have them static balanced!!!!!

Ted Jannetty

------------------
    Owner and President, Jannetty Racing Enterprises Inc.
    97 Dodge 3500 manual trans, US gear overdrive, 3. 54 posi, 235/85R16, mods- JRE Stage III Power Kit, 300hp injectors, JRE 4" Exhaust Kit, Cummins Chrome Kit, Prime Loc,
    2 gauge dash mount with 50 lb boost guage and EGT. 97 Ski-Doo Formula 500 Deluxe/ Turbocharged 670 engine

Archive , Sep 4, 1999
  2. Archive

Although I am considered a mechnanical contractor, I do not work on vehicles. But, in a lifetime previous, in a land far, far away, I did see a tire balancer once. Seriously, balancing them on the vehicle always seemed to produce the best results. Seems like you include all the stuff rotating in this scenario. One device clamps to the rim and has four handwheels. Two for increasing/decreasing the weight, and two for moving it left or right. Stick your cheek against the fender (your front cheek!) and feel the change as making adjustments. The other method I used/liked was a strobe balancer, again on the vehicle.

------------------
    98. 5,24v,3/4 ton,2wd,lsd,5sp
    blue box hp enhancement

Archive , Sep 4, 1999
  3. Archive

Ted, I was just reading in Four Wheeler Mag about a product called Centramatic Continuous Wheel Balancers. These plates go in between the wheel and the hub. They use weights in a ring suspended in oil. I wonder how these work. You can see them at www.centramatic.com. 400,000 of them is use. The testimonials are good. They say you never have to balance again!

------------------
    1994 Dodge Ram SLT Cummins 5 speed 4x4, XLerator airfilter,Optima red top batteries,Turbo&Exhaust blanket,Magnaguard rear diff cover,Edelbrock IAS shocks,muffler removed,Borgeson steering shaft,Trailmaster steering stabilizers,Rancho upper & lower links,Polyurethane sway bar bushings,Skyjacker 2" leveling springs(front),Fabritech Stage II Traction Bars,Denman Coyote A/P LT305/85R16(36" Tall) tires on Stock Dodge Chrome 16x6. 5 wheels,Bushwacker Street Flares,Back-off saftey brake light,Bugflector II bug shield, Diamond Blue 9004 Headlight Bulbs (65 watts low 100 watts high),Royal Purple ,Amsoil& Red line lubes throughout.

1970 Plymouth Cuda (under construction)
    1968 Hurst HEMI® Dart , Nah its just a screen name ;-)

Archive , Sep 7, 1999
  4. Archive

I have seen these from other manufacturers, mostly on motorhomes, they work great! but are costly.

Ted Jannetty

------------------
    Owner and President, Jannetty Racing Enterprises Inc.
    97 Dodge 3500 manual trans, US gear overdrive, 3. 54 posi, 235/85R16, mods- JRE Stage III Power Kit, 300hp injectors, JRE 4" Exhaust Kit, Cummins Chrome Kit, Prime Loc,
    2 gauge dash mount with 50 lb boost guage and EGT. 97 Ski-Doo Formula 500 Deluxe/ Turbocharged 670 engine

Archive , Sep 7, 1999
  5. Archive

I just got off the phone with Centramatic. $265. 00 for 4 balancers. Almost fainted! Forget that idea ... lol

------------------
    1994 Dodge Ram SLT Cummins 5 speed 4x4, XLerator airfilter,Optima red top batteries,Turbo&Exhaust blanket,Magnaguard rear diff cover,Edelbrock IAS shocks,muffler removed,Borgeson steering shaft,Trailmaster steering stabilizers,Rancho upper & lower links,Polyurethane sway bar bushings,Skyjacker 2" leveling springs(front),Fabritech Stage II Traction Bars,Denman Coyote A/P LT305/85R16(36" Tall) tires on Stock Dodge Chrome 16x6. 5 wheels,Bushwacker Street Flares,Back-off saftey brake light,Bugflector II bug shield, Diamond Blue 9004 Headlight Bulbs (65 watts low 100 watts high),Royal Purple ,Amsoil& Red line lubes throughout.

1970 Plymouth Cuda (under construction)
    1968 Hurst HEMI® Dart , Nah its just a screen name ;-)

Archive , Sep 8, 1999
  6. Archive

1968HHD, At 265. 00 I think I'll stay with the $4. 00 per wheel spin balance. Regards Pete

------------------
    99'3500,quad cab,4X4,a/t
    3:54

Archive , Sep 8, 1999