1. Crunch

Thought a little humor was in order. For those who don't understand, take heart. One day your eyes will be opened:

God Confirms Heaven Will Have A Buc-ee's

At this point, all of Texas, most of the Gulf Coast and a good part of the SE quadrant of the United States is part of the wave. I also saw that Missouri will get its first Buc-ee's next year in Springfield.

Crunch , Feb 28, 2023
    dsatexas65 likes this.
  2. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

I saw that. Babylon Bee is hilarious

Yo Hoot , Feb 28, 2023
  3. 06 Dodge

In 11 days I will find out if Buc-ees is as good as they claim..

06 Dodge , Feb 28, 2023
  4. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

I live in Texas. Moved from PA. First time in one of the biggest Buc-ees.. I was impressed. .. just huge. Lots of stuff. Part truckers store, part convenience store and much more.

Yo Hoot , Feb 28, 2023
  5. TMyers

Only gas station I've ever been in that had shopping carts.

TMyers , Feb 28, 2023
    AnonEd likes this.
  6. Crunch

You won't be disappointed. Here's a few suggestions:

1. Before your first Buc-ee's visit, drink a lot of fluids and maybe even eat some brats and kraut. The bathrooms are the best of any travel center I've ever seen.
    2. While you are there, hit up the deli and pick up a sliced brisket sandwich or some other kind of hot food. Ranks up there with most BBQ joints.
    3. Bring your wife and kids, if applicable. They will love it as much as you do. Don't forget the cash. It's almost like an amusement park.

And I almost forgot--Buc-ee's also sells fuel. They don't advertise their prices on any sign, but it always seems to be a few cents less than any other place. I think they have around 100 pump stations at the bigger ones.

I've never seen any travel stop like a Buc-ee's. They don't allow 18 wheelers at the big ones, but the first ones I visited in Texas years ago did and had canopies tall enough to allow a tractor trailer to fill up.

Crunch , Feb 28, 2023
  7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

The “Circle K” reference is great, and appropriate!!

mwilson , Mar 1, 2023
  8. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Last weekend took a short road trip to Ohio from NJ, about 850 mile RT.

I was picking up a truck and and engine on a run stand.

Well unfortunately there was no way we were getting this run stand in the '22 3500, so took the '18 Gasser, it did great as always but strong head winds out and having the extra weight in the truck, MPG were lower then usual.

10.2 heading out, 8.1 coming back. The small rolling hills of PA are what pulls it down, when I hit Ohio you uptick quite a bit.

Longer story longer, I have a 24' split deckover, amd what an absolute pain to get Gas can be at times.

It's impossible at so many stations to fuel up because of where the pumps are and then if there are cars parked at the front of the station getting goods, I've known this for a long time, and still got burned.

I think Love's might be OK, but for sure certain Pilots, Sheetz, are no good, bigger older truck stops are not the best either.

So finally a question, how does Buc-ee's rate for trailer access, especially reading they don't allow 18 wheelers at some.

And if your RV/Rig is a gasser or you just don't want to mess with the big fuel islands and wanted to reply on your fuel up strategy and how does Buc-ees rate.

20230225_121837.jpg #ad
    20230225_173235.jpg #ad
    20230225_173240.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Mar 1, 2023
  9. slowmover

Buc-ees — the cartoon character attractant for tomorrows adult-children majority, not Americans — actually bars the big trucks which supply them.

2-3 entrances and 100-cars with 200-people.
    That’s your cockroach motel, not mine.

Truckstops are easier to use. Use sat pic to confirm separate exit & entry for big trucks; separate again for cars. Use truck fuel lanes is how I do it solo or towing. Freshest fuel and fastest pumps.

Windshield squeegees worthy of the name (carry some DAWN liquid & Harbor Freight extending pole brush; squeegee finish right before it dries).

Crooks prey on tourists. Truck drivers would feel great relief for the opportunity to use a hickory tire thumper on a criminal.

Buc-ees is credit card town. They exist to drive others out of business.

Truck stops are still familiar with cash. Chains or independents still have a few personnel with brains & savvy. Not to mention CAT Scale and a shop offering service and/or recommendations.

You break-down or need service, the truckstop is where you’ll find overnight parking, showers, restaurants and locals who have an idea about roads, weather & service.

It’s not the America those of us who remember 11/22/63 can recall, but you’ll find more capable problem-solvers coming & going from truckstops than you’ll find in any government or corporate office. Especially west of the Mississippi.

Ten, twenty years ago it was a sour joke an old man or woman couldn’t any longer retire with dignity, but was forced to be The Greeter at WalMart.

Today, he’s cleaning toilets at Buc-ees for those who’ve never seen indoor plumbing.

Your patronage, your choice.

slowmover , Mar 1, 2023
  10. Crunch

There is definitely plenty of room to move around the fuel islands, and you will have plenty of space for your vehicle/trailer combination. There is also plenty of parking, though the parking spaces tend to fill up the closer to the store you get. If I am pulling a trailer I just park somewhere out in the asteroid belt and hike it in. Despite the large number of fuel pumps you still might have to drive around a bit to find one that is open. It can be crowded, though I've never had to wait for long. And like I said, plenty of room to maneuver around and you don't have to worry about clipping anything as you pull in or away.

If by "exist to drive others out of business" you mean that Buc-ee's did extensive research on what customers want most when traveling, and then actually built a business around those wants, you are correct. I understand your point about the nature of the sterile corporate environment. But when I am traveling, and the clock is ticking I want to do what needs to be done and get back on the road as quickly as possible. I wouldn't go to a Buc-ee's if I needed tire service or some other specialized service. They don't provide it. They provide a clean, efficient means to fuel up, get food and other products that people want or need when traveling, and clean restrooms that are virtually touch free. And the men's restroom is probably the size of the Circle K that's in Hell in that Babylon Bee article. I wouldn't be surprised if the women's restroom is even bigger. And I've never had to walk through puddles of urine while the smell of fecal burrito filled the air to use a Buc-ee's restroom.

If I have any big complaints about Buc-ee's, it would be that they can be very crowded. I wouldn't be surprised if at times there are 500 people in the store and around the pumps. Adding 6-8 more checkout stations would definitely be a good thing.

Crunch , Mar 1, 2023
  11. Wiredawg

I love Bucees, got a giant one in New Braunfels TX, about 19 miles away. The soon to be largest one will be the expanded/rebuilt one in Luling TX, about 30 miles from :cool::cool::cool:

The briskit, sausage, and pulled pork samages are the BEST. The club samage from the deli is the best. Get fresh fried potatoe chips too. Cherry Vanila DP, you add the syrup.:cool:

Oh yeah, they have fantastic pickled quail eggs and picked okra.;):D

Bucees is BOSS dudes!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Wiredawg , Mar 1, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  12. 06 Dodge

I'll make sure the wife an I stop by one during our 10 day stay in TX, the wife told me she saw a sign for Buc-ees the last time we were in TX 2 years ago but did not know any thing about it :oops:

06 Dodge , Mar 1, 2023
  13. Mark31 TDR MEMBER

One opened in Florence, SC on I95 (30 mi below NC) last May. Always busy.

Mark31 , Mar 2, 2023
  14. 06 Dodge

Ok guys any great BBQ places I should visit between Dallas & Waco an then in the San Marco & San Antonio :D all I can think of is eating some good BBQ lol

06 Dodge , Mar 2, 2023
    Wiredawg likes this.
  15. RBeard TDR MEMBER

Are you kidding, I-35 South of Dallas is a target rich environment for BBQ joints.:D:D Watch for signs from Hillsboro on south, all the way to San Antone.

RBeard , Mar 2, 2023
  16. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

I'm in East Texas between Canton and Athens.
    There are mom and pop bbq joints everywhere.

Yo Hoot , Mar 2, 2023
  17. Crunch

@RBeard is right. Between the Metroplex and San Antonio you can't throw a stick without hitting a BBQ joint. Some are franchise/chain, others are Mom and Pop. But as @Wiredawg said, you can't go wrong with Buc-ee's BBQ. I know BBQ can be a touchy subject, both locally and nationally, but Buc-ee's BBQ (and food in general) won't disappoint. Even their jerky is top notch. What will edge Buc-ee's out is the atmosphere and ambience of stand alone BBQ joints. Buc-ee's don't want you hanging out, kicking back and schmoozing with your friends...

Crunch , Mar 2, 2023
  18. 06 Dodge

The wife and I like BBQ that does not require some type of sauce to make it editable like Dickies BBQ

06 Dodge , Mar 2, 2023
  19. Crunch

Yeah, the "sauce-no sauce" feud can erupt into full scale war sometimes...:D People have died, cities were destroyed, and marriages were arranged at times to end the fighting.

I'm team sauce, myself.

Crunch , Mar 2, 2023
    Wiredawg likes this.
  20. 06 Dodge

Don't mind adding it once in a while but if its required to even eat the food then no thank you, around here they have no idea of what BBQ is if its not covered in sauce...

06 Dodge , Mar 2, 2023