Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorro

For what uses besides a snow plow can the transfer case pto be used?
    Thx.

zorro , Dec 16, 1999
  2. BV

You name it and you can make it work. I have intentions of running either a mechanical or a hydraulic winch in the future. Others I have heard about are running air compressors, generators and yes even a water pump on a fish hatchery truck. Big rigs use them to unload products like flour, cement and other powdery goods.

Don't snow plows have a hydraulic raise/lower control that could be ran off the pto?

------------------
    99 2500, QC, SLT, 4x4 ISB, 5sp, 3. 55lsd, Infiniti am/fm/cd, HDTcase, Tow mirrors, Tow Pack, Camper pack, NW Running Boards and Mud flaps, Front Mount Receiver, Tekonsha Brake Control and Husky Liners.

3. Lou

Hi Guys, Anyone know of an air compressor that will bolt up to the NV5600 transmission pto? Brand name etc. Thanks in advance, Lou

------------------
    99,2500,QC,6speed,3. 54 LSD,long bed,Line-X

4. Dave

I once bid in a govt. auction, on an old "Power Wagon" that was set up as a welding truck. You guessed it, the WELDER was set up to run off the PTO. SWEET!! Naw, got out bid by some conglomerate out of Ohio. Happy Holidays, Dave

------------------
    Dave Hauser, 96 3500 4x4 extended, auto 4:10 LSD, K&N, tow hooks, fog lights, custom front reciever hitch and mount for 8000 Ramsey winch, alum diamond plate box and running boards, Dodge dually mudflaps, tow 18' flatbed, 69 Vette, 89 HD FLHS

Dave , Dec 24, 1999
  5. Loren TDR MEMBER

I have a Mile Marker hydraulic winch that I'd like to be able to mount either front or rear on my new 2000 pickup. When I get ready to set it up I intend to find a truck body shop to have the pump installed on my transfer case PTO. The type of shop I need is one that makes light or medium duty dump truck, crane truck, etc. , bodies for pickups and other smaller trucks. I expect that they will have the experience to install the pump.

The winch itself is mounted on a plate that will attach to a standard 2" square receiver-type trailer hitch. It already has quick disconnect hydraulic fittings that mate to those on my farm tractor.

------------------
    2000 Quad Cab, 4x4, short bed, six-speed.
    1995 Standard Cab, 4x4, long bed, automatic. (soon to be sold)

Loren , Jan 7, 2000
  6. mkubacak

I too am looking at PTO type winch drive. Any suggestions would be helpful.

------------------
    '00 Black Sport 3500 4x4 QC, SLT+, 6-Speed, Camel Leather, Trailer Tow Group, Camper Special Group, 3. 54 LSD
    '96 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Special FLSTN
    '99 Wells Cargo 2-Place Cycle Wagon 12' x 7'

mkubacak , Jan 7, 2000
  7. pilgram

Aloha,
    I also have the Milemarker winch and would like to hook it up to a pto but a little short of cash so in the meantime it is connected to the power steering pump (not something I am really thrilled about). I found a couple good I-net sights for a good basic knowlege in hydraulics... Check out the PTO & hydraulic basics here:
    http://www.ptospecialties.com/

I did a lot of research on the reciever hitch setup and liked the idea of being able to move from front to the rear of the truck but decided against it for safety reasons. The setups I saw were ok for the front because it had a dual receiver but not so on the rear. From what I had read, the single receiver was way under rated for what the winch could. When it comes to winching, Safety is #1 in my mind. Many people have been injured or killed from using under rated components. Just my dollar two ninety eight worth.
    Aloha... . Jim

------------------
    Y2K, 2500, SLT, QC, 4X4, Medium Bronze, Milemarker Hydraulic winch w/Warn Transformer mount & brush guard, Highway Products 5th wheel toolbox, Con Truck rack, Genuine Steel tube steps,
    Spray-in bed liner, 2mtr ham rig (HF & Screwdriver antenna soon), Ham Radio Call WH6FG

pilgram , Jan 7, 2000
  8. Pete Peterson

mkubacak, you can see if Tulsa Winch Co. is still in bussiness, they made some real heavy duty winches, fairly light with cast housings. Dana Spicer made the gear box, u-joints, pillow blocks and cold rolled shafts to put it on the truck with. Nothing stronger than a pto winch. Also check your area for a tow truck dealer they have alot of this stuff too. Regards Pete

------------------
    99'3500,quad cab,4X4,a/t
    3:54,all the right packages!

Pete Peterson , Jan 7, 2000
  9. BV

A new wish book for your Towing, Recovery and Service Vehicle accessories. They carry tow truck stuff, hydraulic & electric winches and lots of neat wish items. It's to bad their web site isn't functional yet, so if you want the catalog you gotta call 1-800-243-3194.

AW Direct

happy shoppn'

PS: When I have the $ to add a winch it will be hydraulic off the pto and have quick-couplers on the hoses for both front and rear operation.

------------------
    99 2500, QC, SLT, 4x4 ISB, 5sp, 3. 55lsd, Infiniti am/fm/cd, HDTcase, Tow mirrors, Tow Pack, Camper pack, NW Running Boards and Mud flaps, Front Mount Receiver, Tekonsha Brake Control and Husky Liners, 10,800 miles or 26,200 mile tell BOMB.

10. Nemies

Anyone know where to the PLV info for the NV241HD's PTO?

------------------
    Kees C.
    99, 4x4, 2500, 5spd, HD, LSD, SB, QC, Sport, Forest-Green, Cab-Lights
    Rhinoliner, toolbox, dual Firestiks

[This message has been edited by Nemies (edited 04-12-2001). ]

Nemies , Apr 12, 2001
  11. rubberneck

Taking this one to the top, any body know of an aircompressor that will bolt up to the pto on either the nv5600 or the hd241 transfer case????

rubberneck , Apr 12, 2001
  12. Doc Tinker

You've got me interested in this too. Check out these sites.

http://www.truckequipmentinc.com/Sullair.htm

http://members. tripod.com/ashauto/products.htm

http://www.mohawkltd.com/fleet_web/air.htm

http://www.bossair.com/

http://www.cycloneair.com/

http://www.piedmontservicetrucks.com/comp.html

This is a good review of the Thomas 12volt air compressor:
    http://www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/ram/air/air_sys.html

All of this sounds expensive.

Doc

[This message has been edited by Doc Tinker (edited 04-12-2001). ]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    Doc Tinker , Apr 12, 2001
  13. illflem

The problem with using a PTO off the transfer case is that it can turn in both directions and different speeds depending on which direction and gear the trans is in. Folks with ATs are stuck with this setup. A PTO off a manual transmission can only turn one direction, the only speed change is from engine rpm, it doesn't matter which gear you are in, even neutral.

illflem , Apr 12, 2001
  14. rubberneck

yes indeed it all sounds very expensive, not to mention too darn big. did you check out the weight on those things. I dont need a 500 pound compressor, or any thing that puts out 185cfm, just want to be able to air up tires and blast the old air horns. I saw a truck with an easy air 2 on it this weekend, it worked pretty well, but it did take quite a while to fill up the tank from empty.

rubberneck , Apr 13, 2001
  15. SmokinJoe TDR MEMBER

Are they very expensive? Running an air compressor for the airhorns and filling up the tires would be nice.

------------------
    2001. 5 QC 2500 White Sport 4x4 LWB ETC 5-Speed Anti-Spin 3. 54 Trailer Tow 241HD SLT+ Tan Leather(Mad Cow Disease) LT265/75R16E

SmokinJoe , Apr 13, 2001
  16. Amianthus

Rubberneck, Just think of the air horns you could run with a 185 cfm compressor. Oh, man!

------------------
    '99 2500 ISB QC SLT (No Leather!), 4x4, 5sp w/McLeod, 4:10, BD-II, PE, PE-EZ, 4"exh. , Pac-Brake, A-Pillar gauge pod w/boost and pyro, Line-X, V-1, lights, siren, lic. plt. frame says "Diesel Fumes Make Me Horny!", and much more goofy stuff.

Amianthus , Apr 13, 2001
  17. EricBu12

Rubberneck,
    on his website the specs say the pump weighs 22 pounds. where did you get 500#???

------------------
    2001 QC 2500 4x4 bronze W/two tone Driftwood, 24valve HO 6sp. Westin side bars, fender flares, Rancho RSX off-road shocks, Spray on bedliner, Leer shell Painted to match with LED marker lights, Bf Goodrich AT Tires. Bed rug inside shell W/aux marine deep cycle batt for lights, etc. M Brolins' CB mount.
    Name of rig is "big bronze Brute"

EricBu12 , Apr 16, 2001
  18. rubberneck

On the cyclone air site, the total component weight was something like 545 pounds, don't know exactly which one you are looking at but that sound more like in the range i would be interested in, My point was i think the industrial units on most of the above websites are way overkill for what I/we wan't, i dont need to be able to run a jack hammer at a work site or any thing like that, just looking for a little air for filling up tires, running an impact, or blasting the air horns, dont know which way to go for the easiest/most cost effective route yet, but im working on a couple of ideas, if i get any thing figured out, i'll post what i find, Phil

rubberneck , Apr 17, 2001
  19. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

rbattelle , Dec 27, 2003
  20. David_VT

IMHO those look like farm implement type PTO generators.

For power generation I'd look at the AuraGen. It can be belt or PTO driven, not cheap but it has caught the eye of the military.

For the milemarker winch, what about just adding a second belt driven powersteering pump that is dedicated to just the winch in the same fashion as the old engine driving plow setup?

I've got an 80 dodge mil ambulance with a massive pto shaft driven winch that is the nuts Oo. for pulling power. That rig has an automatic which means spool direction is controlled by the F/R selector on the transmission after engaging the PTO at the transfer case and winch selector. I have to have the transfer case in Neutral or no PTO output.

I've dreamed of hanging that winch on my RAM but the idea of putting that shaft and linkage under the Cummins does not look like an easy or clean task. I am also not sure the ram will allow PTO output when the wheels are driven, anyone know this ?

When funds are available I'll probably go milemarker and use the stock PS pump (yes, even though I just put $2400 into that system for repairs).

David_VT , Dec 27, 2003