Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KWentling

Thought those of you that have or are considering getting an Espar heater might be interested in my experience. Wednesday had the timer set to warm truck before work. Truck was warm but Espar was not running and showed an error code 54 (Flame cut out on high mode). Truck was getting low on fuel, so figured it had sucked air. Filled the tank on the way to work and set the timer so truck would be warm when I got off from work. I should have run the heater after filling the tank to get the air out of the system to be sure it would fire later, but forgot to do that. I checked to see if the heater had started about an hour before quiting time, and it had not. It had a new code: 20. I hadn't experienced that one before and didn't know what it was, but refiring it kept bring that code up. Drug the cord out and plugged her in. (-10F) Got home and looked up the code. "Open circuit-glow pin" Called Interstate Diesel (the local dealer) and ordered the glow pin ($38. 98) and they said they would have it the next day. Installed the pin tonight. Since I was going to open the coolant system up anyway, I did the flush and refill at the same time. It was a simple install once the unit was out. Sure enough, the diagnostics were right, the pin was "open", and replacing it fixed the problem. Man I missed not having a warm truck for a day! I love that thing!

By the way, that is the first repair. Heater was installed in January of '98, and has been used extensively.

Kim

KWentling , Feb 2, 2002
  2. KWentling

Sorry. Not sure how I got this in the Roundtable forum.

Kim

KWentling , Feb 2, 2002
  3. Steve St.Laurent Staff Member

Moving this over to the products forum.

-Steve St. Laurent

Lead Moderator

Steve St.Laurent , Feb 2, 2002
  4. JohnE

Kim;

I too had a problem with my Espar. I got fault code 14 (possible overheat). It hasn't been serviced, but it appears the impeller came loose from the coolant circulating pump. My unit was replaced under warranty.

I bought my unit from IDD, too.

For all Espar owners.

If you have problem and need help troubleshooting the problem you can get excellant help from an Espar engineer. The email address is on the <a href=http://www.espar.com/ target=_blank>Espar website</a>

Warmly (Espar intended)

-John

JohnE , Feb 2, 2002