1. JDancoe

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Pioneer travel trailer. My wife and I are presently in the middle of a 6 mo. road trip.
    I've been noticing that the level sensor panel indicators never show completely empty.
    The unit has buttons you press and hold for Battery level, fresh water, Black water & gray water. There are four little indicator lights Empty, 1/3, 2/3, Full.
    There appear to be sensors in the tanks, with wires attached. Just a little round grommet with a terminal in the middle. I have tried leaving fluid in the tanks while driving between campsites, then draining the tanks at the new campground. This seems to have helped some. I'm thinking the sensors-now 10 years old-are collecting gunk.
    Two Questions-
    Is there some cleaner that can be put in the tanks, beyond the usual holding tank additive, that will clean the sensors?
    Is it necessary to remove the tank and replace the sensor(s) from the inside, or can they be replaced from the outside after the tank is drained?
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks, Jack Dancoe

JDancoe , Jan 20, 2014
  2. CBari

They can be easily replaced from the outside, but I would try the old ice trick before I did that or direct a water hose at them when you are dumping some time.

The ice trick is some time when you going somewhere in the trailer and it isn't very full dump a bag of ice down the commode, make sure there is enough fluid level so that the ice is suspended in the fluid and just drive. The sloshing of the fluid with the ice helps to break things loose from the sides of the tank.

Good Luck

CBari , Jan 20, 2014
  3. jelag

We put fresh water and laundry soap down the black water tank as we run down the road.... the water soaps up and does a good job keeping it clean... especially on our trip home.... we do this.... run the rig 250 miles down the road, dump and refill... and recharge it..

We installed a clear 90* elbow on the drain hose so that we can see how clean the water is....

But I agree.... we have trouble keeping the senors working when we're using the tanks daily... they seem to get coated with stuff and don't work like they should..

jelag , Jan 20, 2014
  4. MLee TDR MEMBER

You have heard of the Murphy method haven't you? Low sudsing dish washing/laundry detergent one cup, and water softner, one cup. This can be granulated or liquid, granulated is cheaper. Dissolve these two in warm water and add to the tanks. I mix this to 3-5gal of water. It makes the tank surface slipperier, and stuff does not stick. Do this a couple times of year and do as mentioned leave it in the tanks as you drive to your destination, until the next time you dump the tanks, won't hurt a thing. The water spraying on the sensors when dumping, if you have a such a device Will help to keep the sensors clean. There also is a sensor cleaner, I have never used one.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    MLee , Jan 21, 2014
  5. JDancoe

M Lee,
    What kind of water softener product do you use? A brand name would be helpful. Where do you buy it?
    Thanks, Jack Dancoe

JDancoe , Jan 23, 2014
  6. GReed

I've tried the method MLee wrote about. Seemed to do OK. Use Calgon water softener powder. I've read the powder does better than the liquid. I haven't used the method many times, as I can't seem to find Calgon.

GReed , Jan 23, 2014
  7. MLee TDR MEMBER

I should have mentioned the brand I guess. Calgon is the most popular refereed to, usually its liquid, and cost more well known name. White King is a powder and much cheaper, and I'm sure that there is a few others out there. You'll find it in the laundry soap isle. As stated, I use a 5 gal bucket with warn water to help dissolve the stuff.

MLee , Jan 23, 2014
  8. RustyJC

I've owned 5th wheels since 1996 and frankly have given up the battle to keep these sensors working. If we're going to be at one place for an extended time, I pretty well know the capacity of my black and gray water tanks and drain them every 5-7 days or so. It works for me.....YMMV.

Rusty

RustyJC , Jan 23, 2014
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I totally agree! Never look at my read out.

Cummins12V98 , Jan 23, 2014
  10. Powder Extreme

Another trick for "cleaning the gunk out" if you don't have a sprayer is toss in a couple of bars of soap in a tank about 1/3 full of water and drive it home. The bars bouncing around in there will really break things up.

Powder Extreme , Jan 31, 2014
  11. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I've done the bars of soap, water softener, ice cubes. Still bothers.

Now I know how long we can go and figure it by days habitated.......

The only one that I really use is the fresh water gauge while dry camping. The other three are always whacked out.

When the water quits draining in the shower I know that the forward gray tank is full.......:D

Mike.

mwilson , Jan 31, 2014
  12. Nigel

I'm with Mike. I only care that the fresh water gauge works. My kitchen gray is usually first to fill up then the shower and the black is always last.

Nigel

Nigel , Jan 31, 2014
  13. JDancoe

Thanks, everybody,
    I did try the "Murphy Method" M Lee suggested. Couldn't find Calgon where I was, but tried dishwasher detergent and Low suds laundry soap. Did two treatments and the sensors now seem to be working properly in the Black & Gray water tanks. Didn't have any problem with the Freshwater tank. Thanks again.
    Jack Dancoe

JDancoe , Jan 31, 2014