Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monroefiredog1

Hi All,
    I was wanting to know if anyone has removed the cat on their 3rd gen CTD's? Was there any problems with it throwing a code, running, etc? Is it better to just cut it out, or get another down pipe? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thanks,
    Doyle

Monroefiredog1 , Mar 14, 2022
  2. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Neither of the trucks in your signature has a catalytic convertor.

BigPapa , Mar 14, 2022
  3. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I thought they put them on the 04.5 up trucks? I think my freind's 05 has one.

bcbender , Mar 14, 2022
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yes, all 04.5-07 5.9's had a catalytic converter.

Some 2nd gens did (and possibly early 3rd gens), thou I don't know the exact details.

AH64ID , Mar 14, 2022
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

I couldn't find a part number for a cat on either truck. There is a resonator listed. The early 2nd Gen 12-valves had cats. I THINK it was '94 and '95 only, not sure, then they went to the resonator.

BigPapa , Mar 14, 2022
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Only the megacabs had a resonator, which was post muffler.

Megacab turbo-cat-muffler-resonator-tailpipe
    non-megacab turbo-cat-muffler-tailpipe

I ran a megacab resonator on my 05's stock exhaust with a test pipe and 40" donaldson before going to a FLOPRO and 51" Donaldson.

AH64ID , Mar 14, 2022
  7. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

My apologies for the misinformation.

BigPapa , Mar 14, 2022
  8. Monroefiredog1

Well it may not be a cat, but it is shaped just like a cat. The resonator on my 02 looked similar to a muffler, this looks just like a cat and it is welded on.

Monroefiredog1 , Mar 14, 2022
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

06 should have a CAT and a muffler as John said.

bcbender , Mar 14, 2022
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Mine had one yes, and no adverse effect from taking it out as there are no Sensors in the Exhaust at all.

Ozymandias , Mar 14, 2022
  11. Regcabguy

Do you have a smog tech who ignores the visual test or do you live in a no emissions test location?

Regcabguy , Mar 15, 2022
  12. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

He’s in Europe.

BigPapa , Mar 15, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.
  13. Monroefiredog1

Yes I do live in a no emissions location.

Monroefiredog1 , Mar 15, 2022
  14. crispyboy

My 2009 has a catalytic convertor. I took it out for a very short time but it created such a noise issue. Quite a bit of drone even with a muffler. Put the cat back in and a very long muffler along with the stock muffler. Truck is quiet like it was stock, no drone headaches.

crispyboy , Mar 15, 2022
    Topzide and bcbender like this.
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I only took it out because I want to be able to use ANY fuel that I might have to use on our Journey through the World. There is no benefit from taking it out, no gain in Milage, not more Power, nothing.

Ozymandias , Mar 16, 2022
  16. crispyboy

What type of fuels are not compatible with the catalytic converter?

crispyboy , Mar 16, 2022
  17. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Extremely high sulfur that you may find in some country's.
    Also to much soot can plug it up when you drive above 10'000ft in South America for an extended period of time.

Ozymandias , Mar 17, 2022
  18. bcbender TDR MEMBER

That sounds like it was an awesome trip... I can only dream I will be alive and able to do something 1/2 as cool when I finally retire.

bcbender , Mar 17, 2022
  19. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Thank you, yeah we are still on the road, after we have been stranded in the US* for almost 2 years we are finally going up to Alaska this season. And then from there on we will see where we go, South America / Panamericana is still on the schedule.

*which was actually pretty cool as your country has a lot to offer, we love it here.

Ozymandias , Mar 17, 2022
    bcbender, AH64ID and AEdelheit like this.
  20. p-Bar

these cats are high flow design. If you want it removed bring it out to Cali on the coast park it in the street the cat will be gone by morning.

P.s. I took the muff off my 04.5 and it sounded rad.

p-Bar , Mar 18, 2022