1. RBellah TDR MEMBER

Has anyone done the Dometic SBH KIT? Dometic has had some model of refrigerators that were catching fire and you can look up your model and serial number at Dometic's website. Mine is one of these and I have seen others saying RV Dealers will do the fix and bill Dometic, however, after looking at the fix it looks like just a patch as they put additonal sheetmetal around the area so if it does leak it harder to catch fire.

Here is the website to check yours out. Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA

I just Purchased my trailer used and apparently the prior owner did not know.

Let me know if you have had this done and it works!

Thanks, Ron B

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    RBellah , Sep 21, 2011
  2. B.G. Smith

I had mine done. It doesn't have to go back where it was bought. And yes, it is a little sheet metal plate they install, takes just a few minutes to install. Does it work? So far all is well. bg

B.G. Smith , Sep 21, 2011
  3. RBellah TDR MEMBER

Thats good to know... I have a Camping World near by and they are on Dometics list maybe I will try them. I guess one is good as the other on this stuff.

RBellah , Sep 21, 2011
  4. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I also includes a new heat sensor that hopefully will shut it down if it overheats(fire). Should be run in electric only until the kit is installated if you have to use it.

They paid someone to come to our park in Az last winter and do ours, as we were living in it.

Snoking

SnoKing , Sep 22, 2011
  5. DACoffman

thanks tdr would have never known otherwise,taking the wildcat in monday.

DACoffman , Oct 4, 2011
  6. RBellah TDR MEMBER

Let us know how it goes... . I still have to do mine real soon!

RBellah , Oct 7, 2011
  7. Newt

The only way you know if it works, is if it catches fire and your trailer doesn't burn up. :)

Newt

Newt , Oct 8, 2011
  8. GReed

RV.net had a long thread on the recall. A guy that did RV repairs said that Dometic had used a part with a higher temp rating. IIRC it was the thermocouple. A tube looking thing with 2 wires on it that inserts into the burner tube. Anyway, the resistance on that part is supposed to be 44OHM +or- 10%. Mine was 34OHM. His thought was the higher burn temp plus lower resistance allowed the copper tubes to expand and contract too much causing failure. I had the recall done and that part was not in the recall. Sorry I can't be more explicit, but this is going off memory after several years.

GReed , Oct 9, 2011
  9. DACoffman

mine had already been done

DACoffman , Oct 14, 2011
  10. Joseph Donnelly

Apparently my model, RM3607, and year, 1995, are not on the list.

Joseph Donnelly , Oct 14, 2011
  11. Grizzly

I received a Recall notice, in the mail, from Dometic for the refrigerator in our 1998 Lance truck camper about 6 months after we sold it. I passed on the recall notice to the buyer of the Lance, which he had taken care of. We did have problems with the refrigerator, in gas mode, on our Alaskan trip in 06, which was before the recall notice.

Our Arctic Fox 5er has a Norcold refrigerator and has had no issues.

Grizzly , Oct 14, 2011