Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonFord

Hello TDR! I finally joined after all these years (since 2004 believe it or not). I finally sold my 2004 and got me self a 2106 3500 Laramie with 80k on the odo. I changed every fluid and now I want to change the stock shocks. So, I'm finding it a challenge to find something for the rears with the factory air suspension, I tried calling bilstein, but they closed today due to the Easter holiday. That's when I decided to reach to this forum and see who found out what rear shocks we can use.

Has anyone replaced their OEM shocks with air suspension to another vendors? I would love to hear the outcomes!

Thanks

NonFord , Apr 22, 2019
  2. Axel

Not sure if they make one, but check out Eibach shocks. Very nice shocks American made.....

Axel , Apr 22, 2019
  3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Blistein does NOT make a rear shock for the factory rear air ride 3500. Honestly there is nothing wrong with the OE shocks as they are US Made.

I did replace fronts with Bils but saw little improvement as the OE are good shocks.

Cummins12V98 , Apr 22, 2019
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Any idea why they don’t make shocks for the auto-level?

Are the OE auto-level shocks different than non auto-level?

AH64ID , Apr 22, 2019
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I have no idea what the difference is. I am guessing it's not worth their time to make a shock for the amount of rear air 3500's.

Mine rides great as is. Had several standard sprung truck owners ride in mine and they always comment on how much better the ride is.

Cummins12V98 , Apr 23, 2019
  6. NonFord

Thanks for the comments. Cummins12V98, I am leaning more towards your assessment, taking them off, and checking them over, they do appear to be of good quality. The truck has 82k on it and they seem to be holding their own still.
    I think the reason why the other vendors aren't saying its ok to use non-air application shocks is that with the air bag taking some of the punch and their shock not valved for that assistance, therefor not performing as it should. Also, probably not worth the engineering for a limited production/configuration of these vehicles. Just my opinion.
    But let me tell you, I love this set up...WOW, what a big difference.

NonFord , Apr 23, 2019
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The ride is quite good!

AH64ID , Apr 23, 2019
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Tip for unhooking 5er or tow behind. Go to controls now settings now select tire jack mode. This will keep suspension from moving while trying to unhitch. No need to do anything else as it will reset when started next.

Cummins12V98 , Apr 23, 2019
  9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I’ve read that before but haven’t tried it. I like how it levels while hooking/unhooking. Seems to be easer than my 05 to break free from the ball.

AH64ID , Apr 23, 2019
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

You DON'T want it raising up after you have raised RV to release 5er hitch. With a ball it is better to use jack mode also to get the trailer up off the ball.

Cummins12V98 , Apr 24, 2019
    TWhiteside likes this.
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Right, it’s been lowering on me with the system active. Comes up with the jack/landing gear but as weight is coming off the pin or ball the truck dumps air and stays lower and disconnects quick.

If you disable the system doesn’t the rear raise more since the airbags won’t deflate as the load decreases, meaning it will give it a stink bug look? That’s how it worked on my 05 with non-automatic airbags. Truck would sit 1-2” higher after disconnecting the trailer unless I dumped the pressure first.

AH64ID , Apr 24, 2019
  12. EZeis TDR MEMBER

I just hitch and unhitch my 5th whedl as I would on a no air bag suspension. No issues, nothing different.

Earl

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    EZeis , Apr 24, 2019
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yep.

When I unhooked the folks 5er on Monday as soon as I saw the bed of the truck come up, about an 1", I heard the system dump air. The truck lowered as I kept raising the 5er and it was off very quick. If it hadn't started dumping air it would have had to come up a lot more.

AH64ID , Apr 24, 2019
  14. NonFord

Yes, I noticed this too. When removing the weight off the bed, the system auto-deflates. Really nice feature in my opinion. I cant get over what a big difference this air suspension is compared to others I installed on my other trucks. Completely happy camper!!! Literally speaking :)!

NonFord , Apr 24, 2019
  15. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

The shock mounting is the same between air ride and non, with leaf springs limiting down travel extended length of the shock is not critical as long as collapsed length is correct so any shock for a non air ride truck will work. You want a shock with more rebound then normal , Fox would be a good option as they use real heavy rebound valving.

AEdelheit , Apr 24, 2019
  16. NonFord

One would seem to agree, however, when looking up the OEM Part Numbers they are even different. One with and one with out the air suspension. Also, spoke to Eibach and their engineers asked where I lived as they would of wanted to see the truck with this setup. Pretty wild, but I know someone had to change them out. I did find someone with the FOX's installed, but dang, those are pricey too.
    I'll keep researching this.....

NonFord , Apr 24, 2019
  17. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

Ya but you will find many different part numbers for the front shocks with similar coils so I would not get too cought up on that, they likely have different valving. I work for a suspension company and we use the same shocks for air ride and non, no issues and many set up many trucks.

AEdelheit , Apr 24, 2019
  18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Bilstien says they don't make a rear shock and they are not interchangeable. so unless these FOX shocks are not specific to the rear air ride I sure would not install.

Like I said my factory shocks are "just fine"

fullsizeoutput_2093.jpeg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Apr 24, 2019
    Michaelsloft likes this.
  19. NonFord

Funny, here is mine and you know, I cant find both of these parts on the mopar sites. I have found 68236645AD, and 68236651AD. The 51AD specifically states with air suspension and 285/60/20 wheels. Very interesting on these with air option.

Shock.jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    NonFord , Apr 24, 2019
  20. GrantP TDR MEMBER

I have to admit I got a good laugh out of that one. "just fine"...isn't for some. I've never had a set of OEM shocks on any of my vehicles that I was happy with. Glad they are working out for your usage.

GrantP , Apr 24, 2019
    JR likes this.