Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jray TDR MEMBER

I’ve had many Dodge Cummins trucks over the years ranging from 2003 to 2018. About a year ago I found a nice 2004 with the 305/555 that I’m particularly fond of.

The truck came with a leveling kit, which I immediately removed. While in the process of removing the leveling kit, I fired a parts cannon at the front-end as I plan to keep the truck.

I replaced the following:
    Mopar ball-joints, SKF hubs, Mopar steering update kit, Carlie track bar with 16mm bolts, Spicer axle ujoints, KYB shocks and a steering box brace.

After having a front end alignment done the truck it soon developed a high speed death wobble when hitting potholes.

I subsequently searched the various posts relating to death wobble here on TDR. Soon I came across a few postings that suggested setting frontend alignment TOE-IN to 0* ( zero degrees toe-in). Well, I have to say, I’m impressed, in my case it actually worked.

Yesterday, I took a 600 mile road-trip, hitting numerous potholes along the way. During this time I experienced no death wobble at all.

Thank you to all who recommended this alignment setting.

jray , Mar 24, 2023
    tjm likes this.
  2. Yo Hoot TDR MEMBER

My answer was a stronger steering box.

Yo Hoot , Mar 24, 2023
    jray likes this.
  3. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Just curious - what was the previous toe setting?

- John

petersonj , Mar 24, 2023
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Probably factory tune, which is just plain wrong for a live axle.
    I've no clue what they were thinking in Detroit back then doing does numbers that actually fit perfectly for an IFS Vehicle.

Ozymandias , Mar 24, 2023
  5. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

More caster also helps.

SnoKing , Mar 24, 2023
    jray likes this.
  6. jray TDR MEMBER

According to the alignment shops paperwork it had only 1/8” positive toe-in prior to them working on it. Doesn’t seem like much of a change, but it worked.

jray , Mar 25, 2023
  7. jray TDR MEMBER

That’s good to know. Thank You

jray , Mar 25, 2023
  8. jray TDR MEMBER

One of your posts caught my attention regarding the Zero toe-in. Thanks for posting good solid info that actually worked.

jray , Mar 25, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. jray TDR MEMBER

When I bought the truck I found that the previous owner had already replaced the steering box with a Red Head. I just hope he got a good one.

jray , Mar 25, 2023
  10. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Even cheaper, tightening the steering box. Still have my factory unit with 250K+

Darkbloodmon , Mar 25, 2023