Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

Hi all. I was wondering if by adding a PE module to my truck if the travel computer that calculates MPG and Miles-to-empty is still accurate? Any body know how that thing works?

Thanks
    RamBill

------------------

Archive , Jul 27, 2000
  2. Archive

Mine has never been accurate, even before I installed my PE.

------------------
    99 Quad Cab, White, SLT, 4x4, 5-sp, 3:54's, LSD, Loaded except cab lights and leather, Raven cap (cab high), Rhino liner, Stainless Nerf Bars, Stainless Rocker Panels, Tow package, Pro-flap mud flaps (Stainless Cummins "C" coming to add to rear flaps), Power edge (my first BOMB), Valentine One, Amsoil throughout, Uniden PC78LTW CB Radio.

Things to come;

Hadley Bully Air Horns, 285/75R16 Cooper A/T's, SPA Pyro and Boost gauge, 4" exhaust system, DDIII's, Psychotty air filter.

NRA Life Member! (Need to protect our rights and FREEDOM!!)

Archive , Jul 27, 2000
  3. Archive

On the 2000 I had the computer worked fine until I installed a Banks Stinger Kit. Banks refunded my $ and I got out of that trap. I bought a VA box and it does not disturb the computer. When I sold the 2000 I kept the VA and installed on my 2001 ETH and the computer still works fine. Banks approach to "fooling" our main computer is a differant approach than some of the other enhancers. Sounds like the PE does not bother it either. As for accuracy, I am never more than 2 to 3 tenths off actual fuel mileage. I order the trip computer on my trucks, I like em. Barry... ... ... .

------------------
    2001 2500 QC, ETH/DEE,4:10s, LSD, VA Magic Box, Boost/Pyro Guages, 4" Turbo back, BD Brake, 20K Reese. (RV Dealer)

Archive , Jul 28, 2000
  4. Archive

None of the computers are dead-on accurate -- mine's always been good within 2-3%.

If you add a box, injectors, or anything that changes the power or performance of the engine, the computer will definately be off. The computer measures accelerator pedal position, boost, speed, etc. (all inputs that were already going to the ECM). Based on sampling these inputs it infers fuel usage and then calculates MPG. It does NOT measure actual fuel usage -- that's why they get worse when you change horsepower.

Archive , Jul 28, 2000
  5. Archive

With the combination of my DDI's and my PE, I was 7 MPG off over a 6K trip.

With only the DDI's it was something like 3 MPG off.

It is always consistent.

I believe the computer is calculating by how much fuel it thinks is being delivered rather than what the aftermarket injectors and fueling electronics are doing.

The fun thing to do is to watch the miles of fuel remaining as you near the bottom of the tank... . [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jul 28, 2000
  6. Archive

The PE box does mess up the trip computer and the miles to empty, As of late I have been showing aroud 22 mpg on the computer and in reality I have been getting 17. I think David_VT is correct as to why this happens. Before the PE my trip computer was always within . 3 of the correct milage.

------------------
    01 2500 SLT+ QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3. 54 rear end Forrest Green Sport with all options avail
    DC Nerf Bars, DC Grill Gard, DC mud flaps, Line-X bed liner and Leer 160XL Topper
    Power Edge equiped. SPA Boost/EGT Gauge ordered and 4" Exhaust in planning stages. Dreaming of transmission up grades and injectors... ... and some type of Airbox mods.
    See My Truck
    2000 Skidoo Summit 700

Dads truck: 98. 5 3500 SLT QC LWB 4x4
    Brother Truck: 92 W250 SLT CC LWB 4x4 (Dads old truck)

See 5 Diesels and a Gasser

Archive , Jul 28, 2000
  7. Archive

My computer was within . 3mpg till I installed injectors and boost module now it's 3mpg on the high side

------------------
    Jim

Patriot blue Y2k 5sp Stealth 2500 (markings removed)QC,SLT+,leather, camper,TT,lsd,3. 54,4x4,hd xfer case,Geno's dual gauge,DD IIM's and boost module,K&N stock filter, Tekonsha Sentinal,Reese 12 hole wd hitch, ARE lid & bedrug liner, Sony 10 disk cd changer.

Archive , Jul 30, 2000
  8. Archive

My computer was exactly accurate on my 2001 auto. When I instlled 275's, the indicated mileage jumped 2. 2 MPG. A VA did not change the readings.

------------------
    2001 Ram 3500 dually, 4:10, auto, SLT+,anti-spin,custom side paint, Custom pin striping,Advanced Thermal Products Sound Blanket Kit, Smittybar nerf step,Geno's stainless wheel well trim, tonneau cover, air dam, chrome monster tip, mud flaps/chrome tips,pyro-trans-boost gauges, Bosch 275 Injectors, Van Aaken.

Archive , Aug 2, 2000