1. Silas

Hi all,

Was replacing the fuel/water separator on a VE farm truck I picked up due to a WIF light. I also pumped about 15 gallons of old off road diesel out (almost all of it) and replaced with 5 gallons of fresh fuel. When I was priming the filter by cracking the bleeder it was bleeding dirty fuel (not red dyed). I figured I had dirtied the fresh filter (which was primed with fresh diesel) with bad fuel, which was true. When I pulled it back off it was full of sickly looking fuel and stuff floating around (algae??). After I pulled it back off, I proceeded to use the finger pump to try to get fresh fuel bleeding out before I put the filter back on but after about 10 minutes of pumping and checking, it still was pumping out sickly looking fuel, but was not red (comparison below with the bad fuel on the left vs fresh fuel from my can on right).

I’m wondering if I need to just keep pumping until it looks good? Is there a fair amount of fuel that sits in the pump/lines/etc which needs to be purged? Or should the fresh new fuel from the tank be bleeding out without much finger pumping? Confused because the purged fuel isn’t red but still looks terrible.

IMG_2453.jpeg #ad

Silas , Jul 30, 2023
  2. Silas

UPDATE:

I pumped the primer like it owed me money to expel fuel through the fuel filter mount and the fuel started to look a bit cleaner, BUT still had a red tinge and some water droplets formed in the bottom of my sample after it settled…

Thinking if I just fill her up with fresh fuel and run her the contaminated fuel will work it’s way out eventually?? I mean these trucks can run on anything and have a water separator for a reason right?? Thoughts anyone??

Thanks!!!!!

Silas , Jul 30, 2023
  3. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I'd fill her up, add appropriate PS to it and drive on! First tank might cause some issues that will improve me the more fuel you can get through. This is a reason that I only put fuel into transfer tank first before the truck. Transfer tank has a water block filter on it! I extra filter for the fuel to go through before getting to the engine.

Topzide , Jul 31, 2023
  4. Silas

Makes sense, I think I will go that route. Which Power Service do you recommend? I’m new to owning a 12v and have seen some posts on the products and I know there are a couple out there.

Silas , Jul 31, 2023
  5. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I'd think to start with the Diesel Kleen - Cetane Booster, https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/
    You may want to have some extra filters on hand after using PS as it could start to clog them as it works through the system. Just need a good excuse to fuel up and drive! Hope you get to enjoy that truck! :cool:

Topzide , Jul 31, 2023
  6. Silas

Awesome, I will look into getting some of that. Thanks a bunch!

Silas , Jul 31, 2023
    Topzide likes this.