Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Terry

If you don’t take your truck back to the dealer for servicing how will you know or get your dealer updates Re flashes etc etc will the truck tell you?

Turbo Terry , Oct 17, 2022
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No it won't, it's up to you to ask for them.
    I said it before, some dealer do the updates automatically when you are in for any work that has to be done. Others don't touch it until you demand it.
    I'd like to see a company policy for that matter instead of let everyone do what they want as some updates are crucial.

Ozymandias , Oct 17, 2022
    06 Dodge and Tuesdak like this.
  3. Turbo Terry

So there’s no way of knowing if there’s any up dates or revision. Are the updates required to keep your warranty.Are sometimes up dates not good as in performance or mileage updates etc . So if I don’t get the updates and maybe not unless I ask for any updates that’s not very good.

4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Most of the time updates deal with software problems that arise through time.
    And no they are not required for your warranty.
    Some of the updates show up through TSBs to know about them, some not.
    Only way to proof is to plug it in at the dealers wiTech and let the system check online if every system, there are dozens in your truck, is up to date or needs to be updated. This is Hightech.

06 Dodge and sag2 like this.
  5. Wiredawg

TDR has lists of TSBs right here on the TDR. Many times, they are done if you have a complaint to the dealer that is related to them. Recalls you will receive in the mail. You will sometimes see folks post them here on the TDR.

Or, once a year, go to your dealer and ask them to check.;)

Hope this helps Double T:)

Wiredawg , Oct 17, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Yeah as Ozy goes over, super VIN specific for this stuff anymore, they have it down to a science of sorts for the updates, not so much on the dealer side, can vary greatly.

But from a TSB side of things TDR publishes a list annually I think of all TSB, not sure they publish the actual TSB.

Here is a cheat sheet off Alldata, I forget if you have a '21 or '22.

Not too much on either.

If anything piques your interest let me know will click on the TSB, at times they also have USA TSB and Canada TSB, so even that is super specific at times.

Attached Files:

Timd32 , Oct 17, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. Turbo Terry

2022. Thanks o I don’t know if my truck needs crucial updates .

Wiredawg likes this.
  8. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

If it's hauling heavy and doing its thing sounds good to me! Keep on trucking.

Have not heard of any recalls, which to me would be critical updates.

The TSB again are not required for all folks it has to apply to your truck and maybe come from a known issue.

Timd32 , Oct 17, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  9. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Some updates are undesirable, such as the one that made the horn blow when in gear with the door open or with the seatbelt undone. It didn’t affect me so I can’t remember the details.

And obviously with the situation in the other thread, I wouldn’t say they have it down to a science.

BigPapa , Oct 17, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  10. Turbo Terry

Runs good pulls hard no worries

Wiredawg likes this.
  11. Turbo Terry

It won’t go back to the dealer until I have issues then I will ask about reflates etc

Wiredawg likes this.
  12. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Well when they build x thousands and can tell within in a few shifts of production at times it may be Mad Science, but pretty darn close.

Not sure what's going on in that other thread, something is for sure wrong there, without the service reports if they even exist from the dealer to see what was done it's going to be internet folklore on that front, not saying programming was not repaired was the final fix after a bad flash.

Would think that has a case file that will be locked away either way.

I don't know anyway of tracking the flashes. We have been taking notes on our 12" screens for certain issues I was running an older software on a newer truck, and a second older truck with newer software had issues. When mine updated to the same software the issues were not present so I would think it's another issue with the second truck.

So software to software is not always the same issue. It's all really rough at times to work out.

Timd32 , Oct 17, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.
  13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

@Timd32 That's what I thought over there.
    I've a hard time to believe that it is possible to load an SO software onto a HO Truck and ECM.

Timd32 likes this.
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

My post wasn’t aimed at you, Tim. Just my opinion.

As to the other thread, I’ve seen fellows here post things that were more unbelievable than that. I’ve had something as simple as QuickServe mess me up. I input an ESN and hit the little arrow to update. It came up with the ESN I entered, I hit parts and proceeded to get the part number I needed. Pulled the part, gave it to the tech, and he brought it back saying it was wrong. The program had actually not updated and was still showing parts for an older ESN I’d input earlier that day. I called Cummins and they affirmed “yes, that can happen….”

BigPapa , Oct 17, 2022
    Wiredawg and Timd32 like this.
  15. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Pretty wild stuff.

We are tying in a bunch of cameras for our stuff, it's always fun trying to figure all these things out, even if they are the same year stuff is very different at times.

Timd32 , Oct 17, 2022
  16. Tuesdak

“… even in the future Nothing Works!”

Just keep an eye out for updates that fix known problems with Emissions. This can save you breakdowns. It can also say cut MPG.

One can run through the TSB’s here and you can decide if you want them.

Some flashes are recalls or close to it. You may not have much choice when visiting a dealer.

We can simply put pressure on RAM if they are going to do a recall don’t do STU-PID stuff. Like blowing horn… Rather like the CP4 replacement with better instead of “extended warranty time…” then “Your Problem and cost!”

Tuesdak , Oct 18, 2022
    Topzide likes this.
  17. sag2 TDR MEMBER

There is a corporate policy for the dealers to follow regarding flashes. Critical flashes need to be done if in warranty. If out of warranty you can ask for help. TSB flashes (non critical) only if the customer indicates the same concern at write up, and only if under warranty. All other flashes, if customer has concern and vehicle is still in warranty. You are free to pay for any flash to be done at any time if truck is out of warranty.

sag2 , Oct 18, 2022
    Tuesdak, Wiredawg and Ozymandias like this.
  18. Wiredawg

I paid for my first flash on my 2017 5500 this past year while at the dealer. I decided to keep my truck current. Can't recall what it was for.

Wiredawg , Oct 18, 2022
    Tuesdak and Ozymandias like this.
  19. 06 Dodge

I believe it, I'm just surprised it ran okay.. I was having problems with radio, compass and other small items, while dealer had my truck in for two TSB they took a look see at my radio compass problems, they found out I had the wrong software installed from the factory, once they installed new code it fixed radio, compass along with several Uconnect problems..

06 Dodge , Oct 18, 2022
    Wiredawg, Tuesdak and Ozymandias like this.
  20. Newsa

I had a 7 year extended warranty and it was under the extended warranty and the emissions warranty, but since my 3 year manufacturer warranty was up, those other warranties were not good enough. They charged me labor for the emissions computer update. I was told by a former Ram diesel tech that it (labor) should have been covered under the federal emissions warranty.

Newsa , Oct 22, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.