1. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Both AH64ID and Shadrach pioneered this design and the fine details of how it works, this is a link to the archived thread on it.

For reference I did this on a manual truck, autos have slightly different plumbing with the heat exchanger.

Essentially what you want to do is take coolant in from the highest pressure point for flow and direct it to the highest vacuum point for suction.

There are multiple half inch NPT plugs with a 3/8th square provision on the head that lead to the coolant ports. You want to feed your filter from the farthest port back, It will have the most pressure and highest temperature. The point you want to return this coolant being pushed out to is going to be on your lower coolant inlet port where you water pump is pulling and pushing fluid. This on factory trucks is found by tracing your heater core return hard lines to the front of your engine.

The port in the lower coolant inlet that returns the heater core flow is 3/4"npt, This is the port it is recommended you use to return too, This will require the removal of the factory hardline tube and couplings as well as the current fittings in this port.

Your heater hose return will need to be re-routed for this and you will need to T into this for the return of the coolant filter. The coolant hoses coming out of the heater core are 5/8ths ID I used the same hose size to match, no need to step up or drop down the ID of the hose.

My setup is in the engine bay above my manifold, you can mount yours where ever you have space. I didn't want to bolt anything to my frame and I was limited with my fabrication too a dead blow, some brackets, a cut off wheel and bolts/nuts.

My parts listed included :

one 1/2" NPT to 5/8ths barb for the head feed fitting

10ft of 5/8ths ID enameled heater hose

two 3/8" NPT to 5/8ths barbs

two 3/8" M NPT to 3/8" F NPT ball valves, these are optional but they make filter change easier, and you can cut flow if you need to.

one fleet guard filter head 204163 S this ALUMINUM(don't go crazy with the torque) head has 3/8ths ports the filter threads on this port are 11/16th -16 UN-2B I used the WF2077 filters and one of their stratapore lower micron filters, Keep in mind you do not need any additive filters, untreated filters only.

one 3/4" M NPT to 1/2" F NPT reducer bushing

one 1/2" M NPT to 90* 5/8" barb fitting.

one 5/8ths T barb, this T fitting needs to have 5/8" barbs on all points.

one 5/8ths barb union, this is a fitting barbed on both ends, you need this to plumb the factor heater core outlet hose.

zip ties, hose clamps, bailing wire, etc. I grabbed some OEM 5/8ths hose clamps off of some dodge trucks at my local pull a part, the work pretty good. I have a higher pressure radiator with a 19psi cap and my the clamps held no issues. But use what you got.

I also recommend Loctite 545. or some thread sealing compound, I'm not a fan of thread tape but I put 545 on everything.

Installation

Figure out where you want to mount your filter and plan for hose length accordingly as well as brackets and fabrication etc.

Remove the heater core return hard line tube and couplings.

Remove the 90* fitting in the lower coolant inlet.

clean the threads out, apply sealant to the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer bushing and thread it into to port.

Next get your 1/2 to 5/8 90* fitting, apply thread sealant to it and thread it in, make sure when you're tightening it down you know where you're going to route your hoses. I ran my hose around the perimeter of my fender going behind and underneath my battery box and up to the factory heater core hose outlet.

trim the factory outlet hose, its molded for a shape, and install your 5/8 to 5/8ths barb union, run your hose from the factory outlet down to the lower coolant inlet.

remove the rear most head plug for the coolant jacket, clean the threads, and install you're 1/2" to 5/8" barb fitting.

Build your filter head and run a hose to the inlet of the filter head, measure out how much hose you need on the outlet to join the T fitting too the NEW heater core return hose.

Install your T fitting on the NEW heater core return hose and join with the filter outlet hose

top off and check for leaks.

If you have questions message me. pictures below.

20210429_225547.jpg #ad
    20210429_225603.jpg #ad
    20210511_175720.jpg #ad

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Darkbloodmon , May 11, 2021
    mwilson likes this.