1. mwilson TDR MEMBER

mwilson , Apr 17, 2020
    gsbrockman likes this.
  2. elephantrider

I spent many days and nights in paper mills. best part was that home cooking in the canteens. worst part was the smell. it would stay on coveralls through multiple washes.

elephantrider , Apr 17, 2020
  3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Everett, WA had a section of I-5 that had quite the samell! We called EVER-ROTT, very embarrassing one time taking a new girlfriend thru there! :rolleyes:

Cummins12V98 , Apr 17, 2020
    brucejohnson and NIsaacs like this.
  4. Tractorat

I made a sales call on a paper mill decades ago in Bellingham or Port Townsend ( I dont remember exactly where). I was selling them some computer equipment. When we went into the mill and thru a certain area, they gave me a hard hat and a mask. Then they told me if I heard the siren go, I was to run like hell. And not to wait for them, because they would be way ahead of me.

Tractorat , Apr 17, 2020
    brucejohnson likes this.
  5. jhenderson

You boys need to understand you’re not telling Mike anything he hasn’t known for a long time. He lives in “ Stinkin Lincoln”.
    I’m wondering 2 things. 1st, how high did the pulp go to stay in the air that long? 2nd, what’s the paint on those trucks look like after the “ rain”?

jhenderson , Apr 17, 2020
    Wayne M. and NIsaacs like this.
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

It must have went airborne for quite as distance, there is Black Liquor smeared all over the Town of Jay.....

Trucks got hosed down by the local FD, some better than others from what I'm hearing...quite a few spotted Aluminum rims as a result...

The paper mill smell is predominately from the Black Liquor. That's what rained down on the trucks mixed with wood fibers. I have hauled Black Liquor in Chemical Tankers as it is used as fuel in Recovery Boilers at the mills. Sometimes one mill cannot burn all the Black Liquor on site so it is trucked to other paper mills for use in their Recovery Boilers.

So you haul Black Liquor one way and then Green Liquor back. That is what is left after being run through the boilers.

The three stages linked below starting with the caustic White Liquor...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_liquor

Then after the pulping process..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_liquor

Then after being used as fuel for the Recovery Boiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_liquor

Recovery Boilers need to be inspected regularly as those are capable of flattening a city block if there is an issue...

First rule of Caustics is "You can put Caustic on water but you cannot put water on Caustic....so a water leak in the boiler itself can result in an earth shattering explosion....

When hauling Caustic and the customer wants less strength you always put the water in the tanker first and then went to the Caustic loading station.

Some of the guys blew up a 5 gallon pail one evening testing the water on Caustic theorem......after that they were believers for sure....sure as hell didn't want to see it happen in a 5,000 gallon tanker...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    mwilson , Apr 17, 2020
  7. Regcabguy

Smells like burnt broccoli. My sister lived a few miles from one in Camas,Wa.

Regcabguy , Apr 17, 2020
  8. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

Then there is the "aroma of Tacoma". o_O The affected area has subsided significantly over the past couple decades.

brucejohnson , Apr 17, 2020
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Yep forgot about that one!

Then there was GP in Bellingham.

Cummins12V98 , Apr 17, 2020
  10. mwilson TDR MEMBER

11. TFucili

Pretty gutsy!

Mike, is the mill in Waterville still there @ 95/201?

TFucili , Apr 18, 2020
  12. mwilson TDR MEMBER

You mean heading out 201? That’s known as the Hinkley Mill.
    Scott Paper had it for years, now owned by Sappi.
    Running well along with it’s much smaller counterpart in Westbrook.

mwilson , Apr 18, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  13. mwilson TDR MEMBER

14. TFucili

Yes, along 201. Must be the one. Glad it's still running. There was a little diner/restaurant along that stretch that we used to sometimes stop for a bite.

TFucili , Apr 18, 2020
  15. TFucili

TFucili , Apr 18, 2020
  16. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Technical difficulties, please stand by...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    mwilson , Apr 18, 2020
    promisedland likes this.
  17. mwilson TDR MEMBER

mwilson , Apr 18, 2020
    TFucili likes this.