1. Wayne M.

It's a GM cooling system film. They climb a long grade out west. Does anyone in TDR land know where it is? It's a slow start but I enjoyed it.

http://youtu.be/uoA-2TlZY5I

Wayne M. , Jan 16, 2015
  2. NIsaacs

Yes, that is the road to Jerome, AZ. I have posted this video before but here it is again. 1947 International KB12 w/Cummins Power. This is video part 2, if you want to learn about the build, watch video 1. I know this old guy pretty good. Enjoy!

Nick

NIsaacs , Jan 16, 2015
  3. GCroyle

Nick,

Pretty neat stuff. Everyone notice his mirrors?

GCroyle , Jan 16, 2015
  4. Bill Stockard

Yep, and the tilt out windshield ventilation system. Did you notice the compression release when he started the Cummins? I watched the video the first time Nick posted it and enjoyed watching the old I-H KB12/Cummins running the grades again this time.:)

Bill

Bill Stockard , Jan 16, 2015
  5. fest3er

That's what that was. My 650 thumper has one of those. But it's automatic. :D

fest3er , Jan 16, 2015
  6. GCroyle

Compression release, was that the big handle he pulled out on the LH side of the dash then let it return quickly?

GCroyle , Jan 17, 2015
  7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Yes, lifts the exhaust pushrods to hold the valves open. I drove a White twin screw tractor with an NH-250 that had that.
    Really handy when cold as you could let it spin to pull the starting fluid into the cylinders.

mwilson , Jan 17, 2015
  8. GCroyle

Mike,

Interesting how old school stuff worked. I had a 1952 Willy's M52 Jeep and the starter button was on the floorboard push with foot, pretty sure it was pushing on the mechanical plunger on the started.

Hey, Mike You've had P-MAIL for a while about the VW TDI TB job, I've picked up 3 MPG after TB and IP re-timing. 46MPG and climbing.

GCroyle , Jan 17, 2015
  9. Superdawg TDR MEMBER

In November of 2009 we visited Sedona, AZ, staying at the Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. We took a day trip up to Jerome and we were the first ones of the day at the King Mine. Thinking we were just going to browse the area by ourselves, I was surprised when the owner, Don Robertson, gave my family a private tour. It was the highlight of my trip to see the trucks and cars he has collected, worked on and restored. I absolutely enjoyed talking to the man and appreciated his love of all things mechanical.

Edit: Don's the one driving the truck in the video. The tour at the King Mine was one of those unplanned, spontaneous events on a vacation that ended up being the best part of the trip.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Superdawg , Jan 17, 2015
  10. RVTRKN

I watched part 1 and 2, that's a nice truck. The negative I got out of it, was its not OEM, but it's well thought out and functional and is worthy of his effort. I did watch a small blip of a video were he has a tube in the cab and he sprays a ether fluid into the intake and then pulls the compression release handle as he starts it. The one thing I didn't see was made in China :-laf

RVTRKN , Jan 17, 2015
  11. Bill Stockard

I tried to determine which Cummins was transplanted into the old KB12 by the exhaust sound...JT6 or a NH220? It doesn't sound much like a NH220, but I could be wrong... it's been a few years. I've only been around one JT6 and that was about 50+ years ago and don't remember how they sound.

Bill

Bill Stockard , Jan 17, 2015
  12. NIsaacs

I think he said it was an NHRS 300, with the supercharger and split exhaust manifold, so yeah.....basic NH220 block. With a 13spd, 3spd aux and 2 spd rear axle he said he has 78 gears:-laf

Nick

NIsaacs , Jan 17, 2015
  13. Bill Stockard

Yep, that's why I didn't recognize the sound! WOW!! 78 gears... that should keep it "interesting" going up and down grades. :-laf

Bill

Bill Stockard , Jan 17, 2015