1. Diesel85 TDR MEMBER

Diesel85 , Mar 17, 2024
  2. Regcabguy

I wish an audit was required for incoming funds to California to see where it ends up.

Regcabguy , Mar 17, 2024
  3. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

California mystery fees and tax on fuel current is $ 1.20 per gallon will rise again in July again, currently I buy marine diesel $ 7.56 a gallon good deal right or wrong?

HPSimpson , Mar 18, 2024
  4. Regcabguy

It rises each year with the rate of inflation.

Regcabguy , Mar 18, 2024
    06 Dodge, Timd32 and Diesel85 like this.
  5. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Absolutely! My wife and I moved from Colorado to Redding, California in 1994. We owned a 1985 Subaru (49 state emissions) and my 91 Ford F150 with a Cummins 4BTA engine. I was very concerned about passing emissions on the truck, so I scheduled an appointment with the Referee for emissions inspection.

After arriving at the Referee station, the inspector was looking the engine over closely. I told him I would be happy to answer any questions. He said, "Oh, I was just looking at how you installed the engine. We don't test diesels" They charge me a "smog impact fee" of $300.00 for the truck and $300.00 for the car, even though the car passed the California emissions test.

A few years later, after moving to Oregon, a friend of ours from California informed us that we needed to get a hold of the California DMV and let them know we were eligible for a refund of the "smog impact fee". Apparently, the state lost a law suit regarding the "smog impact fee" that the state had been collecting unfairly since 1990.

The Department of Motor Vehicles had to refund $665 million to 1.7 million people who registered out-of-state cars in California.

We received our refund, plus 5% interest.

- John

petersonj , Mar 18, 2024
    06 Dodge, BLK-9, brucejohnson and 5 others like this.