Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MFKSR

I want to remove some of the chrome on my 2010 2500. How easy is it to remove some of the stuck on badges. How easy is it to paint the chrome bumpers.

MFKSR , Mar 21, 2011
  2. EricBu12

The badges might come off with either goof off or WD40 to help dissolve the sticky substance.

The bumpers have to have the protective coating. . (the chrome) either scratched up or removed then a good bare metal primer... after that, spray away

EricBu12 , Mar 21, 2011
  3. craiggo

Use dental floss. I take it and slide it back and forth to cut the double-sided tape that holds them in place. Be aware the tailgate is indented to the badge so you'll have to deal with that. I use Orange TKO or any good orange cleaner to remove the remaining tape.

craiggo , Mar 21, 2011
  4. BIGNASTY

same as above but use a heat gun to make tape release easy. Get the extra thick floss like the guys in the south use for the big gaps most only have 3 teeth a black one a brown one and a green fizzy one

BIGNASTY , Mar 21, 2011
  5. tp0d

Monofilament fishing line works good too. .

-j

tp0d , Mar 21, 2011
  6. Wertles

Just be careful of the heat gun. It works really well but too high a setting and the paint comes off as well. Don't ask how I figured that one out.

Wertles , Mar 21, 2011
  7. seafish

Harbor Freight also sells a tool like a converted soldering gun that heats up a replaceable razor blade to just the right temp to EASILY remove all sorts of emblems-decals?&src=tdr">decals and bumper stickers.

Hot Blade Decal Remover

It works really well, though you still need to wipe up whats left of the adhesive residue with some sort of paint safe solvent.

seafish , Mar 21, 2011
  8. MFKSR

Thanks. Great answers.

MFKSR , Mar 22, 2011
  9. gtoli TDR MEMBER

I used fishing line and a rubber wheel that fits in a drill, works great and took about an hour to debadge everything but the "C" on fenders. Got the wheel at Car Quest, think it's for removing decals and such from racecars.

gtoli , Apr 20, 2011