Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead

I have close to 107,000 miles on my original front brake pads on my '07, 5.9, G-56. I looked at them with the wheel off yesterday and I still have about 6mm or 1/4" left on both pads. I bought a brand new set of the Mopar premium pads and have them in the cabinet in the garage. Replace them now or run them more?

Motorhead , Jul 7, 2019
  2. DavidC

I vote replace

DavidC , Jul 7, 2019
  3. Wayne M.

If it means doing it now while the doing is good, as opposed to doing them when snow is coming down, then I’d do em.

Wayne M. , Jul 7, 2019
    DavidC likes this.
  4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

David and Wayne make good points.

Sounds like they’re about 1/2 gone, measure the thickness of the new ones to compare. If they are halfway gone and you want to safely stretch it out to get your moneys worth, I’d say you could run another 50K.

A word of warning. I inspected mine at a tire roatation and they were thin enough I planned to replace them at my next rotation, another 7500 miles. At about 6K miles later, I made a “panic stop” to avoid hitting a deer. Didn’t think too much about it but the next morning on the way to work I heard metal-on-metal. Evidently the “panic stop” had ripped the remaining material off half of the inside left pad. I wouldn’t let them go too long.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    BigPapa , Jul 7, 2019
    DavidC likes this.
  5. Michaelsloft

I vote replace.

Michaelsloft , Jul 7, 2019
    DavidC likes this.
  6. Motorhead

Well I'll go with the votes to REPLACE. Wayne M, it would have to be a real unusual circumstance for us to get snow here but I appreciate the thinking because it can get cold. Last snow was December of 1988. My second daughter was just a day old and we got about 2" of snow here. You never saw such chaos! Whole North county just about shut down!
    Thanks Guys!!!

Motorhead , Jul 7, 2019
    Wayne M. likes this.
  7. seafish

Yup...IMO you've already gotten your moneys worth from the original pads so you may as well replace them with the new premium pads and keep on truckin' !!!

FYI...there was absolutely NO need to replace or grind down the rotors when I did my front brakes at 107k.
    The rotors were almost exactly half worn, but smooth and true when I took them in to have them mic'd. I simply cleaned up the calipers, put the new premium pads in, flushed the whole system and have had NO problems with noise or ducts or stopping since!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    seafish , Jul 7, 2019