Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAmes TDR MEMBER

The letter from "A TDR subsciber" in issue 58 really caught my interest since I have had to replace three fan clutches, two water pumps and a belt tensioner while on the road. It will also make replacing the serp belt a lot easier. I finally got around to it this weekend. I did make a few changes. First, I used a miter saw instead of a hacksaw which resulted in nice straight cuts. I opted for six bolts per side instead of four, which I believe makes the installation more stable. I used T-nuts for the outboard bolts and used J-B weld to hold them in place, home made nut plates. I word of warning. The T-nuts each have three points that are intended to be hammered into a board. Do not try to hammer them into the plastic of the shroud !!!(J-B weld repair not shown:-laf), instead, bend them flat.
    fan shroud 003 (Custom).jpg #ad

fan shroud 002 (Custom).jpg #ad

fan shroud 004 (Custom).jpg #ad

fan shroud 004 (Custom).jpg #ad

fan shroud 003 (Custom).jpg #ad

fan shroud 002 (Custom).jpg #ad

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    GAmes , Mar 1, 2008
  2. GAmes TDR MEMBER

A little flat black paint and you have a very nice access panel for the front of the engine.

fan shroud 005 (Custom).jpg #ad

A BIG thankyou to the subscriber who sent the pix in.

fan shroud 005 (Custom).jpg #ad

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    GAmes , Mar 1, 2008
  3. npieske TDR MEMBER

Thank you very much. This should simplify matters!

npieske , Aug 1, 2011
  4. petersonj TDR MEMBER

Fan Shroud Modification

I, also, am tired of struggling to do repairs in that confined area between the front of the engine and the radiator shroud. I modified the top of my fan shroud and after I was finished I found this post. Coincidently, my modification is quite similar. Things are very accessible now - should have done this a long time ago!

Here are some photos.

I made the cut in this specific manner so there would not be any sharp corners when you reached into the work area.

I apologize for the order of the photos - I can't seem to place them in the order that I want.

- John

Shroud Top Installed.jpg #ad

Shroud Top Removed.jpg #ad

Upper Fan Shroud Modification Cut.jpg #ad

Upper Fan Shroud Modification Cut (2).jpg #ad

petersonj , Nov 12, 2017
  5. Killgore

Now that makes a lot of sense!

Killgore , Nov 13, 2017