Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogersM

I was somewhat disheartened to find that the ignition key in my '06 was not only HUGE but had a chip which made it mandatory that THAT key be used to start the engine. Had that in a Ford Exploder once and hated it. Add to that, the key is so damn big it won't fit on key ring in your pocket... . blah blah... OK so I'm whining a bit but sure would like to disable that feature and be able to use a normal size key to drive. Yeah, I have more keys than a high school janitor...

Any ideas? Yes, I know it's anti-theft...

Mark :rolleyes:

RogersM , Aug 11, 2006
  2. ohnoitsyu

Depending on your insurance company, having that chip reduces your insurance premiums. It also reduces the likelihood of walking out to find your vehicle gone.

Having said that, the tab where the key ring attaches is likely to break off soon, anyway :( They could have designed that much better.

ohnoitsyu , Aug 11, 2006
  3. Bob4x4

You can buy a new ecm and ditch the skim module... ... ..... but I doubt you dislike the system that much... ... ...

Bob

Bob4x4 , Aug 11, 2006
  4. ohnoitsyu

Yeah especially after hearing the answer my question to Bob - How much for parts and labor would you guestimate?

What proximity is required for the chip to work? On some brands of vehicles, you can tape the chipped (transmitter) key behind the column covers (if you can make it fit), then use a regular key in the ignition. Will this work with the Dodge?

ohnoitsyu , Aug 11, 2006
  5. Tinman TDR MEMBER

Humm... that's an idea. Gonna have to try that. Not fond of the chipped key either.

Tinman , Aug 11, 2006
  6. RogersM

You're right... I don't ! Sounds spendy. .

RogersM , Aug 11, 2006
  7. klenger

With the about of trucks stollen around here, I'm very glad I have the chipped key security system. From what I can tell, it's the best anti-theft system available, especially given what's posted above to over-ride it.

klenger , Aug 11, 2006
  8. ohnoitsyu

You're right, especially where you are.

Keep in mind, though, is that those who steal vehicles know this information as well, and they carry a spare ECM/PCM. However, for 06 models I think you need to do an electronic "handshake" between the ECM/PCM and the multiplex system with the STARScan tool.

And then they can always get out of there quicker with a tow-truck.

ohnoitsyu , Aug 11, 2006
  9. Troll

Here's a story. . Three of us at work bought nearly identical CTDs about 3 years ago and we generally parked them side by side in the lot. Well one day we all walked out to the row of trucks, and some scumbag had broken into the first two trying to steal them, busted the column and everything. Well the ironic part is they both had the chipped keys and I did not, so had they started from the other end I would have had mine ripped off, but lucky for me the thief just figured because they looked identical that he could not get mine because he was unable to start theirs.

Troll , Aug 11, 2006
  10. RogersM

OK... I'm convinced ;) I'll live with it !!

Mark

RogersM , Aug 11, 2006
  11. Bob4x4

Carrying a spare ecm won't work. but I don't think I should go much deeper it could help a truck disappear :eek:

A reman ecm for an 03 is about $1100 retail at the dealer and comes with out any software loaded.

The skim system has been used for a number of years. I have done some insurance repairs on recovered vehicles,and have not seen a single case where the vehicle was driven away. They all have signs of being towed.

With the lojack becoming so common in many cases they don't even look for it,they will just park it and watch it. If they don't locate it soon it must not be equipped. There is a new early warning system from lojack that will make it even faster to find.

Bob

Bob4x4 , Aug 11, 2006
  12. navyjoe

Using a non chiped key

I copied my key to give me a spare 'get into the' truck key. Its a 99 cent Wal-mart flat one that I can carry in my billfold. I keep a spare key hidden inside my truck ($99 for that one). A note though, if you try to start the engine it will run for 2 seconds then stop. it will then turn on the check engine light and you will have to go to the dealer to reset it.

navyjoe , Aug 13, 2006