Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMitch

Has anyone put 235/80/17 snow tires on a SRW truck? They are almost same height as the stock 265/70/17 and 1. 4" narrower. I'm looking at the Cooper M+S Discoverer with studs. I will be buying them from the local tire guy who always gives me a great price and excellent service. I need to tell him what size to order for me (before the snow gets here). Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
    TMitch , Oct 15, 2006
  2. Bernie

I'm usually of the thought that narrower is better, but that is really narrow for that truck (IMO).

Is the load rating the same on the narrower tires?

Also, have you ever tried the Nokia Hakkappellitta tires? I have had them on just about every car I've owned and I love them. With these tires I've driven rear wheel drive sports cars in 8 inches of snow, passing SUV that are in ditches.

Bernie , Oct 15, 2006
  3. TMitch

Both sizes are load range E, The 235's are rated about 100 lbs. less. I have never driven on the Hakkapeliitta tires but have heard good things them. My dealer can't get them. We use 16" Blizzaks on our Ambulances and they're great also but are not available in LT265/70/17 Load Range E.

TMitch , Oct 15, 2006
  4. BHolm

The main reason for going narrow in the snow is so that the tire can dig through and grip the road below. The tread you are choosing, even with studs isn't really ideal for that. I don't know how much snow you have to drive through, or how well they take care of the roads but if I were to go with skinnys in the winter its would be a studded mud terrain tire with very open lugs. The next step from there is chains, but a studded MT will get you pretty far.

I have yet to resort to studs. I have a lot of snow to drive in but it also melts off quickly in many places so I don't want the noise of the studs. I have been running BFG AT KOs on the last three srw trucks and using the 285/70-17s. I pull sleds up the mountain passes 4 days a week in the winter and even without studs do not have any traction problems with the wider tires. This fall I am switching to the Goodyear Wranglers in 285. They, like the BFG AT are rated as snow tires, the next best thing to studs.

Lots of people here run the Coopers with studs though. My nieghbor has an '02 he runs the 265 Cooper M&S with studs. Never heard any complaints from him on them either. I would go with the 265s myself. Good Luck and LET IT SNOW! :D

BHolm , Oct 15, 2006
  5. johncameron

I run 235/85/16 blizzac tires in the winter and they work great. Stick with a skinnier tire for winter driving.

John

johncameron , Oct 15, 2006
  6. opjohnny

The best price I could find on the Hakkapeliitta tires was $238 each plus shipping for the 265/70-17E. I would like to try them but that is pricy for that size.

opjohnny , Oct 15, 2006
  7. Bernie

Yes, it is pricey, but one you try them you realize it is worth it.

Bernie , Oct 15, 2006
  8. TMitch

It's not really the snow that I worry about... it's the black ice, that's why I want a studded tire. I was just wondering if anyone had chosen the skinnier tires over the stock size. I have to make up my mind by Tuesday. If the price difference is $25/tire then I'll probably choose the cheaper size and take my wife out for dinner.

TMitch , Oct 15, 2006
  9. mtnsnowtower

I run 265/70/17 les schwab mud country tires that are studded and siped. I tow my 32' snow mobile trailer in the mountains here in Washington state and in Idaho. This set up for me has been incredible especially on ice in really cold temps. that was the only tire I could find that was also a 10 ply that could be studded.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
    mtnsnowtower , Oct 15, 2006