Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TGVET TDR MEMBER

My driver seat heat swicth is not activating the heat. I was tapping on it for a while and it would engage and light up. But now it is not engaing at all. (Passenger is fine) I find it hard to believe it is that actual switch but maybe. My thought without knowing for sure the switch activates a realay rather than passing current through the switch. I have not looked at the schematic yet, just asking here. Winter is on the way.

TGVET , Oct 20, 2019
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Not that easy..
    The switch tells the FCM to switch on high/low. The FCM tells the Seat Conrol Modul to do what's desired.
    No relays involved.

Your switch is gone.
    switches are interchangeable.

Ozymandias , Oct 20, 2019
  3. TGVET TDR MEMBER

What is the FCM? I know of the ECM. Will the DRB2 diagnostic show it as failed ?
    I not throwing parts at something without knowing FOR SURE what the problem is having previously done that by bad advice on here with the other electrical issues.
    How does one access the switch ?
    Thanks.

TGVET , Oct 20, 2019
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Interchange left and right switch, if the problem wanders you have it.

ECM is Engine, FCM is Front Contril Module it's adjacent to the Fuse Box on the older Gen3. Later Gen3 had the TIPM.

Check Youtube how to disassemble the center console, easier then write it down.

Ozymandias , Oct 20, 2019
    seafish likes this.
  5. TGVET TDR MEMBER

Thank you. I am going to search the video.

I know this is not the thread loactaion but, my HVAC blend doors failed in 2008, only three years old and I have been dealing with the failure all these years. Thankfully, I never took the Heater Treater route of cutting into access area and instead have decided to remove the whole box and intstall Blend Door USA ones. I just need a really good comprehensive video showing how vs. some not so good ones.

TGVET , Oct 20, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. sag2 TDR MEMBER

There are several pretty good videos out there, and many years ago there was a good writeup in TDR. The dash does not need to come all the way out, just roll it back enough to get the box out. Experienced technicians could get the box out in 45 minutes back when they were doing them all the time.

sag2 , Oct 21, 2019
  7. TGVET TDR MEMBER

Thanks Sag. My oh my how time flies. 15 years old now and it seems like yesterday I went to Dave Smith with my then 16yo son.
    I have all my issues if you happen to recall which one.

TGVET , Oct 21, 2019
  8. GT Dodger

I just did the doors in mine with blend door USA ones. I watched YouTube videos linked from the blend door USA website. It was a breeze after watching the videos.

GT Dodger , Oct 21, 2019
  9. TGVET TDR MEMBER

TGVET , Oct 21, 2019
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I've an 04.5 and I disassembled both switches when i installed airride seats with heater because the OEM switches works only with the OEM seat heater. To me they look the same.

Ozymandias , Oct 22, 2019
  11. algonaman

Mine is doing the top light flash, which according this this means an open circuit somewhere.

algonaman , Oct 31, 2019