Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mawvelous

I opened a thread on this to let folks know exactly what you can and cannot do with this tuner the GT 40420 (W/O ECM Unlock):
    There has been a lot of discussion performance enhancing boxes (or lack thereof) on the Cummins Forum. I thought it might be of use to TDR members. As far as I know the GT is the only tuner that loads the files to the ECM. It does this via an expensive (1200.00) ECM unlock.and the ECM needs to be sent to Bully Dog. However the tuner/gauge itself has been around awhile and can be had for reasonable cost. It has alot of useful features that can be used without buying the unlock or loading a performance tune. Read on:

Once the tuner is updated and the program for the 2013 & 2014 Ram Trucks is loaded You CAN:
    Monitor all ECM Data through the OBD2 port that the Bully dog has apps for.
    You can use the driving coach, check and clear DTC's and so forth. You can compensate for tire size
    Although the performance tune files are loaded in the tuner they CANNOT be loaded without the ECM being sent to Bully Dog to be unlocked. They had a sale earlier in the year around Christmas @ 600.00 for the ECM unlock, now it is 1200.00. Hopefully in the future there will be another sale or they will figure out how to get a key to unlock through the OBD2 port. The tune files are designed to work with existing exhaust treatment. It is NOT a delete tune ( Good luck finding such devices)
    In saying this I did not buy one of these specifically to load a performance tune. I found a used one on Ebay for 325.00. I learned that I could read the factory Pyro data on a gauge display on the BD tuner without buying a pyro kit. The EGT pids are available at the OBD2 port. Ram didn't make the EGT pids available at the EVIC
    I wanted to see where the stock truck EGT readings are. Now it is important to remember that the factory sensors are after the turbo. From what I have seen with this tuner on my 2013 vs. the readings on my 2005 pre-turbo guage I think that the post turbo temps are going to be around 300 degrees lower. It is relative and I can use this data later if and when I decide to add a tune or go with a module such as the TS Stryker. When you consider what you get as data logger and other tools with the Bully Dog I felt it was a good buy. It would cost as much to add an analog pyro gauge.
    There is a member on the CTD forum that bought a tuner & unlock from what I have read he seems happy with the results. If I recall he needed assistance to get the 2013 program loaded to his tuner
    I too had to call for assistance with loading the 2013 & later program. Bully dog support was excellent they remotely loaded the additional files needed on my computer and then loaded the files to the tuner.
    To the best of my knowledge you have 3 options thus far to change performance from stock:
    1. Bully Dog 40420 GT tuner w/ECM unlock 2.TS Stryker Module 3. edge Juice W/Attitude I hear this one will be available next month.
    Both TS and Edge JWA are modules downstream from the ECM. The JWA also will have separate monitor capability

Mawvelous , Mar 12, 2014