Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank1

My 03' Dually's frame has seen better days, the truck has less than 48,000 miles on it (I am the original owner) and the right side from the rear axle to the passengers cab is pretty much Swiss cheese! Had the whole frame wire brushed, large rusty holes cut out and new steel plates welded in and then por 15 the entire frame (last November). It looks as though the rust is coming from the inside rail to the underside of the frame. Will weld on a few more plates to get me through this winter, but would like to replace the frame next year. Can I replace the frame with a later model year to give me more strength in hauling heavier loads? The truck is used mostly for plowing and salting. Just thought I would ask.
    Thanks, frank

frank1 , Dec 3, 2017
  2. jgillott TDR MEMBER

I believe that you are pretty much limited to a 3rd gen frame. Unless I am mistaking, 4th Gen frames have entirely different mounting points for the cab and body mounts making it quite different than the 3rd gen design.

I have helped a buddy here with doing an entire body swap on a 2nd gen. He is now in the process of swapping the frame again as we speak do to rust issues. It is a doable project for sure. But it is extremely time consuming and if your truck is anything like the one he has, it will be very difficult to disassemble due to the rusted bolts and fasteners you will encounter. Please consider that before you decide to take on that project.

jgillott , Dec 4, 2017
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Ozymandias , Dec 10, 2017