Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSkyrman TDR MEMBER

Hello,

Yesterday while replacing the fuel filter I discovered that I have a broken vacuum line, break location is just ahead of the fuel filter canister. The hose runs to the vacuum pump - located behind passenger side battery - which runs continuously on account of the broken line. The small line/hose seems incredibly brittle, relatively hard plastic, I can see how it could break easily. I understand the main purpose of this pump/line is related to cruise control.

I have three questions:

1) Where does the broken end of the line lead to?....it's just kind of hanging out there right now (see attached photo).

2) On account of the brittle nature of this plastic line, would it be wise to just replace this entire line from the pump to wherever the other end goes?

3) Is the replacement a pretty straightforward task and can the parts be had at Napa or better to go to dealer for part?

Thank you

Broken Vacuum Hose line.jpg #ad

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    MSkyrman , Oct 29, 2017
  2. MJWenrich

Interesting you should ask. Just had my cowl plastic by the windshield off yesterday while tracing back where that line goes to. There is a vacuum reserve unit on the passenger side and I guess it serves as a reservoir for vacuum to maintain a constant source. I had to replace my pump as it had been running continuously for over a year. I determined that the problem is at the servo and was going to post a question today on what might be available. Its located under the battery on the drivers side. The problem I had trouble shooting was the line size. It's small and seems to be an in between size. Using fittings I have, I ran a vacuum line to each part of the system, except the servo. The pump stops as it should after building vacuum. But not when hooked to the servo.

As for parts, I don't know. The connections are special and have different sizes on each side of them. The line slips in and out of the connections except for the three way going into the cowl. I could not get that one to separate. Might be fused.

Also, the plastic air duct removal was a PIA. Not sure if I have it back correctly right now because I was running out of light yesterday. But the passenger side comes off after removing screws and the push plastic retainers. Also the insulation and rubber hood gasket. Oh...and the wipers. Painted mine while off.

MJWenrich , Oct 30, 2017
  3. cerberusiam Staff Member

So there is a reservoir regardless of the FSM, somehow that does not surprise me. As for the CC servo, it is serviced separately https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/...9/?c=aT1UQjk0MTkwNSZyPWxheWVyXzEmYT1kb2RnZQ==. Probably bets just to run new lines as age is probably interfering with the rubber lines now.

cerberusiam , Oct 30, 2017
  4. Bob4x4

Iirc the reservoir is under the cowl passenger side in the units that had them

Bob4x4 , Oct 30, 2017
  5. MJWenrich

Thank you for the link. I certainly hope this finally does the job and stops that buzzing. I have the electrical disconnected until I can figure this out but sure missed having the cruise on a recent trip off the mountain and to the coast.

MJWenrich , Oct 31, 2017
  6. MSkyrman TDR MEMBER

So, I snapped off an additional short section of the vacuum line, took it to the dodge dealer in town. He took it back with him and returned with windshield washer tubing (soft, flexible) which he gave me one foot at no charge and sent me on my way. It's a really tight fit (perfect) and so I've replaced a relatively short section of broken vacuum line with windshield washer tubing and this repair was done without any cost. Works great, vacuum pump shuts off after pressuring off, no indication of leaking. Cruise control works fine. Good to go it seems.

MSkyrman , Dec 9, 2017