Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DFrank

My 03 now sits for weeks at a time, and must have some sort of phantom power draw.

I was considering just adding a battery disconnect and defer hunting for the issue for a bit.

Do I need to put one on each battery, or will doing one side stop the drain?

Is there a slightly hidden spot that might make it harder to notice, and act as a simple theft deterrent while at it?

Thanks,

Dave

DFrank , Apr 12, 2021
  2. Crunch

For all the effort and cost it would take to rig up a disconnect for the cables I think you would be better off just disconnecting the negative cables when it sits. I'm also guessing that you would need a disconnect for both batteries, since they are connected to each other. I still have power to the radio after I disconnect one. As for theft deterrent, you are better off putting a switch in the ignition wire and hiding that inside the truck. Plenty of places under the dash or behind the rear flap on the cup holder.

Crunch , Apr 13, 2021
  3. Wiredawg

I would recommend a smart battery maintainer connected to it. I have one for each of our vehicles, zero turn mower, and Kawasaki Mule. Much easier than installing battery disconnect and better for battery life.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Apr 13, 2021
    Dl5treez likes this.
  4. nibroc

I just charge the batts monthly

nibroc , Apr 13, 2021
  5. Blakers

Get two constant-duty solenoids that area large enough to handle the starter load. Wire them into each battery lead and activate them with a toggle switch under the dash.

Blakers , Jun 30, 2021
  6. DFrank

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I found the short and never did this project.

DFrank , Jul 1, 2021
    Dl5treez and Blakers like this.