1. SWC

I have a 01. 5 3500 with trailer tow package. I don't have my manual in front of me but if I remember correctly there is an 18 gauge black/yellow wire from the headlamp switch to the relay in the Power Distribution Center. Has anyone modified the trailer light relay to switch on and off without using the headlight switch?

Stan

SWC , Jul 4, 2005
  2. HBarlow

Stan,

With information from another TDR member I installed a Painless Wiring circuit board with an additional seven fused circuits behind the panel under the steering column. Three of the circuits are switched, the other four always hot, or vice versa, don't remember now. I ran a heavy gauge wire direct from the driver's side battery through a 50 amp relay mounted under the hood and back to the seven pin female connector at the rear of the truck. I actuate the relay with one of the ignition-switched wires in the Painless Circuit board.

Now the truck will charge trailer batteries all day while driving and I can use 12 volt power in the trailer while parked overnight without worrying that I'll discharge the truck's starting batteries.

I don't know where Rosthern is but I delivered a new 5er to a dealer on the north side of North Battleford a few weeks ago. I spent the previous night at a Husky truck stop in Swift Current before making my delivery. I also traveled diagonally across SK from Lloydminster to Weyburn before turning south to North Dakota last summer on my way home from Alaska. SK is pretty but fairly flat and plain like the South Plains of Texas where I live.

Harvey

HBarlow , Jul 4, 2005