1. SSage

Looking around for a transmission shop and it looks like Black's is the closest one to my location in Alabama that uses the Goerend parts. I want a rebuild and install at one shop, just a stage one trans. Don't see any recent feedback online, is Black's a decent option? There are a couple diesel shops around Alabama, but that's just a crate trans, looking for an actual onsite rebuild so I can keep my original trans without all the shipping. Any thoughts on the current options around AL?

Thanks...

SSage , Mar 8, 2021
  2. jraker

What part of AL are you in? I live in the Knoxville area and I just had mine rebuilt around here. Rocky Top Transmissions in Blaine, TN is where I went. They rebuild your unit to your specs and they are a great shop. The shop was recommended by several different sources one being my neighbor who has an excavation business. Three of his people, two are his sons, had gotten their diesel transmissions done there. They are in hot rodded Chevy's and Dodges. They were very pleased. One had an issue after a few months and they took it right in and fixed it that day. I had my built to handle 700hp, even though the truck will never see quite that much I wanted to have some margin. I paid $3k cash. It has a Triple Disk converter billet input and flexplate and some other things. I already had a double deep pan which saved me some money. The build didn't take too long and their service was excellent. His shop is in the country and it is very pretty setting too.

jraker , Mar 13, 2021
  3. SSage

Thats a bit far for me, I need something within a couple hours drive, I gotta get someone to help me do the drop off and take me back. Goerend referred me to Black's and its not that far away, maybe an hour and a half if I get between rush hours. I want to get the Goerend parts kit. I've kept the 2003 at the stock HP, so just a basic Stage 1 should work fine. My old 12 valve is the toy, I have it built up a good bit with a DTT trans. Ashley says it can be done soon, probably next week. Around $4400 installed I think, plus whatever the taxes are.

SSage , Mar 13, 2021
  4. SSage

I'm driving my 2003 DRW with the Black's Performance / Goerend rebuilt 48RE stage 1 now. So far so good, happy with the shop.

Took a while to get parts, but it drives good. Not as aggressive as my 2006 vintage billet DTT 47RH with the single disc, but I like it. It shifts almost like a stocker, but its noticeably stronger at low speeds. Pulls through the gears fairly smooth under moderate throttle. My old DTT trans shifts much harder in my 12 valve 2nd gen, TC lock up feels about the same. But, the shudder and slipping is gone from that well worn stock slush box!

SSage , Apr 6, 2021