Tags:
  1. Saboken

I've heard conflicting information about using Bio Diesel in certain engines. I have a 2012 RAM Laramie 2500 6.7 , 160K the truck runs perfectly I purchased it a little over a year ago just before the prices of Diesel went crazy to tow a new Fifth Wheel Camper around the country (we wanted to be full time until the fuel prices changed our budget). That journey is now done and I'm buying a house. I want to keep the truck and sell the camper, but want to get information about Bio Diesel use in this year truck? It's all stock as far as I can tell. I don't know the policy about deleting discussion here ? So I'll wait for a comment about that. I was thinking of making my own Bio Diesel but don't know anything about how it would harm my engine? Is there anything I can do to make it safe to run in my truck? Or do.i need it stick to blends? If deleting topics are allowed I am considering it not for crazy power but just reliability and a fuel milage boost . I get 9mpg towing the 5R and 12-14 empty. Lots of power, quick Turbo response in its stock form.

Saboken , Sep 12, 2023
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

With using Bio diesel, you need to change your oil a bit more often and most importantly, the fuel filters need more attention! I don't think you'll save any money trying to make your own Bio. There is a lot of upfront cost for the equipment and find the used fry oil is difficult do to the regulations on the disposal of it. Plus you'll need to keep track of the fuel you use and pay your state the fuel tax on it! :eek::rolleyes: That's why the disposal regulations.

And NO DELETE topics as it's against the law in all 50 states! :mad: Read the label at the bottom of the drivers door. It states that all emission components must remain intact for that model year.

All other topics allowed. :cool:

Topzide , Sep 12, 2023
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

If you want to Ruin it then you start playing around with homegrown juice. If you want a reliable truck then use pump fuel.

If you insist on homebrew then get Gen1 with the p7100 pump. They can burn everything that is combustible.

And as I life full time, I don’t see the point how fuel prices inflict that plan as I drive very little per months and years. Once a year slowly south, once a year slowly north. 15k a year roughly, sometimes less. Living in Mex Baja for the winter time safes thousands of Dollars every year...
    A house in the US is always far more expensive then our lifestyle.

Ozymandias , Sep 12, 2023
  4. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Your modern diesel engine and the emission equipment do not play well with homemade Bio Diesel fuel. These are not like the old MB diesel vehicles that you could use 100% Biofuel in them.

For the most part read your owner's manual it will tell you the amount of Biofuel allow for your year of truck. I know my O&M only allows 5% Biofuel in a 2008 model. I have used up to 20% when nothing else was available but this was to keep going until I was able to get the proper fuel.

Some states mandate the Bio percentage of diesel fuel such as B5, B10 and so forth. If your state mandates B20 or higher in this case, you have no choice but to use that fuel. But I would recommend oil and fuel filters be changed often.

Jim W , Sep 12, 2023