1. CUMMINZ

Visited a friend today in the hitch building business. He had on the floor a fifth wheel hitch that had a failure when the truck pulling a car hauler on a very curvy mtn road. The rear trailer wheels off the road shoulder. Look at hitch. 20200528_092838.jpg #ad
    20200528_092846.jpg #ad
    20200528_092838.jpg #ad
    20200528_092846.jpg #ad

20200528_092852.jpg #ad

20200528_093257.jpg #ad

CUMMINZ , May 28, 2020
    Wayne M. and Wiredawg like this.
  2. JR

So the locking jaws failed? Why so rusty? That thing looks like it's been sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic.

3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Looks like a Chinese Made CURT???

Cummins12V98 , May 28, 2020
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Direct report to the NHTSA - this should never happen, not even in the worst accident.

Personally I never liked the way those American 5th-Wheel hitches are built, way different then ours.

Ozymandias , May 28, 2020
  5. JR

How are they different Ozy?

Ozymandias likes this.
  6. NIsaacs

What size truck and trailer? What is the hitch rating?

NIsaacs , May 29, 2020
  7. CUMMINZ

Things rust when sitting the weather not being used.

CUMMINZ , May 29, 2020
  8. CUMMINZ

Dually and car hauler. 25K

CUMMINZ , May 29, 2020
  9. CUMMINZ

Hog wash. I have been saying this for years, If you tow 24k don't use a 25k hitch.

CUMMINZ , May 29, 2020
  10. CUMMINZ

When I had my hitch built about 8 years ago we fabricated a large plate for the original hitch to sit on. We added shocks and also added more framing to my truck frame to be able to add more securing bolts to the frame. Later I added a bed saver to the rear. 20180218_162421.jpg #ad

CUMMINZ , May 29, 2020
    HPSimpson and seafish like this.
  11. Wiredawg

In manufacturing, specs are actually made above the posted rating. I'm always suspicious when a one off like this pops up, especially when there are so many examples of flipped rigs where nothing let go. And we all know there are maintenance requirements that this example appears not to have. Wheres pics of the wreck? How many times did it flip before this?

Thanks. I'm fine with my hitch, its specs, my maintenance responsibilities, and structural integrity.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , May 29, 2020
  12. Wiredawg

Just have to ask... where is the report FROM? quote says its TO the NHTSA. I'm skeptical whenever I see absolutes ALWAYS, NEVER...

Just saying that there's a LOT of missing facts here.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , May 29, 2020
    HPSimpson likes this.
  13. dieselshadow

The hitch looks as dry as a popcorn fart.

dieselshadow , May 29, 2020
    Bill Lins and Wiredawg like this.
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Ron, I read Ozy’s post as “there should be a report sent directly to the NHTSA.”

BigPapa , May 29, 2020
    Ozymandias, HPSimpson and Wiredawg like this.
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Like you said - you have seen enough flipped or otherwise accident were it didn't let go. So something here failed that shouldn't. Why?
    Batch of weak parts? Who knows.

Anyway very very dangerous if a trailer disconnects from the towing vehicle.

Ozymandias , May 29, 2020
  16. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

Not enough information on what happen to the trailer pretty sure hitch became disconnected from trailer, when, where?:(

HPSimpson , May 29, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  17. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes that's what I wanted to say, this is a serious safety issue that happened here.

18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The mechanism, there is a U-shaped claw that slides 90° around the King pin, and then a Lock bar slides in to the rear of that and holds it in this position. So the King pin is all around secured.

DSC_6180_large.jpg #ad

Unlike that two C-shaped claws that are virtually open to the rear.
    You know what I mean.

Here are some pictures of it, it should give you an idea of how that works.
    https://www.tulgafifthwheel.com/collections/repair-kits-and-spare-parts

Better Lik here https://www.tulgafifthwheel.com/col...-trailers-rvs-toy-haulars?variant=19291095107

That would be the hitch for your application.
    If you check the pictures you see perfectly how it works.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  19. Wiredawg

BP,
    thanks I did not catch that perspective.

Ozy,

Sorry for misinterpreting your comment. You're correct very dangerous having the trailer disconnecting from the hitch... I would like to see a picture of the tow vehicle and trailer to get perspective on this. Mountain winding road on a downhill curve leaving the road could be disasterous for all the equipment involved.

All,

BTW, Google 5th wheel hitch failures and select images.... some pretty eye opening pics.

Cheers all, and be safe. Ron

Wiredawg , May 29, 2020
    Ozymandias and HPSimpson like this.
  20. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

" If you tow 24k don't use a 25k hitch."

WHY???

Also I asked if it was a CURT???

Cummins12V98 , May 29, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.