1. kenneth sjoquist

what co. makes overdrive to go betweentrans and transfer case

kenneth sjoquist , May 8, 2020
  2. Dan_69GTX TDR MEMBER

3. KATOOM

I suggest you research this topic... There are people who say its great and there are people who state that overdrive units are too weak for these trucks. For the amount of money it will take to install one, you'd want to make sure its going to work for what you're after.

KATOOM , May 8, 2020
  4. GAmes TDR MEMBER

An old member, HSmith, had one on his '96 with a NV4500. The only time it ever gave him trouble was when he was out of direct drive and engaged his exhaust brake. He finally wired his EB so that it wouldn't engage unless he was in direct drive. He towed a VERY heavy 5th wheel.

GAmes , May 9, 2020
  5. Regcabguy

My friend has a GV on his '05 G-56. In 65K it's had seals go out,the frequent lube changes are a bit expensive and you're not suppose to use on with an EB . He wouldn't spend $4K installed for it again. His is mounted aft.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Regcabguy , May 9, 2020
  6. NIsaacs

I don't know of anyone building this type unit. In front of the transmission or behind the t-case, yes.

NIsaacs , May 10, 2020
  7. Loren TDR MEMBER

Kenneth,

I have an overdrive that I bought for my 2000 model year 2500. It had a six-speed manual and I wanted an overdrive that mounted AHEAD of the transfer case. At that time the GearVendors unit mounted behind the transfer case and could not be used in four-wheel-drive. Unfortunately, US Gear, the manufacturer of my overdrive, has been sold and they are no longer making overdrive transmissions.

I liked that overdrive. It had a push-pull switch that I mounted directly to the shift lever that you would switch under load and then when you unloaded the drivetrain the overdrive would shift. Drivers with more big truck experience than me told me that it shifted like a two-speed axle. The ratios worked out to be about halfway between gears so I could shift up in half-steps if I wanted.

I removed my overdrive from the 2000 truck when I sold the truck following an accident. I now have the Aisin transmission in my current truck and this truck doesn't need an overdrive. The old overdrive is currently sitting around somewhere in a big box. If you're interested, send me a Personal Message.

-- Loren

Loren , Jun 7, 2020
    Bill Lins, KATOOM and AH64ID like this.
  8. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I ran across an article tonight in Issue 29 of the TDR on the Gearvendor unit.

It looked pretty slick,

Timd32 , Jun 7, 2020