Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brillmtb1

Is there more than one method to balance a 19.5 tire and which is best, disadvantage and advantage to multiple ways. Just picked up my AF811 for SB 3500 and will probably add 19.5 to use during the summer when camping for added saftey, perhaps longevity.

BTW how in the world do you fix a flat with a camper on your truck vs taking it off and if you have 19.5 tires who can even do that as doesnt it take a place that can handle commercial truck tires.

brillmtb1 , Jan 17, 2022
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

When I ran 19.5’s I used Counteract Balance Beads and they worked awesome.

I also have 5 of them so the spare was rated for the load. I didn’t haul a slide-in, but had high RAW and likely wouldn’t have unloaded to change a flat, just jacked it up. Luckily I never had to do that.

AH64ID , Jan 17, 2022
    slowmover likes this.
  3. brillmtb1

When I shop for the set of four I see that some rated for steer and others for drive. How concerned should I be on our trucks that I get the right one for the right application. Seems like I need a set of four that could be in any position and YES, probably a 5th in the spare location if it will fit.

brillmtb1 , Jan 17, 2022
  4. brillmtb1

Are those the beads that some say get stuck in the air valve and is this really an issue

brillmtb1 , Jan 17, 2022
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I went with a drive tire for all 4 corners. Toyo M608z. Good traction, smooth, but didn’t wear great. Then again nothing wears great with all the dirt road towing I do.

Yes the beads can, and will, get stuck in the valve stem. It’s not a big deal for me as I have OBA and a quick blast of air generally frees them up. I’ll continue to run beads as I think the balance is better.

AH64ID , Jan 17, 2022
  6. brillmtb1

So I can run drives on the steering wheels. I thought the 19.5 tires wear better than would my K02s which top out at 4000lbs at 80psi. Also would it not be more flat resistant and safer with load.

brillmtb1 , Jan 17, 2022
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

They are supposed to wear better, but mine didn’t. Dirt road towing is hard on rubber.

Yes, they handle the load much better. I don’t know about flat resistance.

AH64ID , Jan 17, 2022
  8. gsbrockman

Will you need 19.5’s or do you want 19.5’s?

Coming into 4 years of ownership of my 2018 RAM 4500......tire servicing is expensive, limited in regards to actual service facilities, and 19.5’s themselves can get expensive.

gsbrockman , Jan 17, 2022
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Do you really want these heavy commercial tires? What do you have now?

I understood that question totally back in the days with 16 & 17" rims but now with 18 & 20" as standard size there is actually no benefit anymore from mounting these sizes.

The Load ratings of 18 & 20 are above and beyond of anything that you can load on these trucks, that's why I sold my uncomfortable 19,5er years ago and went with 18" instead.
    My truck is above 12K lbs all the time.

Ozymandias , Jan 17, 2022
    slowmover likes this.
  10. lpennock

You can get the spare out from under the truck with the camper mounted. I did make an adapter to use a ratchet rather than the handle that is included with your truck. If you try to use the handle you will only be able to make 180 degree and then have to reposition which makes for a long task.

lpennock , Jan 17, 2022
  11. brillmtb1

brillmtb1 , Jan 17, 2022
  12. brillmtb1

So if need is defined by having a tire that can carry more than 4000lbs safely then yes. My current rig, each tire at 4000lbs and with commercial I will be 4900 but probably thats not the whole story, stiffer side wall, more plys may be better handling, less prone to flats. If you go by the sticker on the truck almost everyone with a short bed is overweight but much of that on the dodge is the OEM tire limits, then the rims probably in that order. I can solve the rims partially by the 4500 rated ones and then the tires with the 4900 rated. My understand is that the axle on the SRW and DRW is identical in capacity and closer to 11K so I would be fine. Now as we know the police could site me and leave me to try to explain why I think I am safer than the stock trucks. I am adding the torklift kit that engages the overload and I already have airbags then that can be deflated from where I am now for an overall better, level ride. It that doesnt work then I guess add on progressive spring helper set.

brillmtb1 , Jan 18, 2022