Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mymtnhauler

My truck is a 2005 3500 duelly 4X4 Cummins with the NV 5600. the front end has devolped a clunk that can be heard and felt in the floor. It dose this on both pas and driver side.
    Took it to a suspention and tire shop and had them look at the front and rear suspention, track bar, body mounts, engine mounts, trans mount, all the steering and both drivelines. I was right there wile they did this, they allso made sure all the bolts were tight.
    Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the fix? Thank you for your time.

mymtnhauler , Oct 25, 2019
  2. sfritts TDR MEMBER

I had the same problem. I took out the links to the front stability bar and found that ball joint on the link was loose, but when checked in the truck seemed tight. once I had them out the ball came apart when I pulled on it by hand. replaced both links with some from Geno's garage and the clunk went away.

sfritts , Oct 25, 2019
  3. RVTRKN

Lift front end and check for unit bearing failure as well.

RVTRKN , Oct 25, 2019
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

sway bar links, worn bolts on the control arms, and shocks are the usual suspects.

cerberusiam , Oct 25, 2019
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Worn out body mounts on mine, very hard to diagnose.
    Frame flex made it clunk.

Next time was REAR lower shock mount that sounded like coming from the front sitting inside of the truck.

Ozymandias , Oct 25, 2019
    algonaman likes this.
  6. GrantP TDR MEMBER

Ball joints were causing the clunk on mine, just another thing to check.

GrantP , Oct 25, 2019
  7. mymtnhauler

Did this do any damage to the body mounts were lose?

mymtnhauler , Oct 26, 2019
  8. mymtnhauler

The tire shop did this. Thanks for the reply!

9. mymtnhauler

Will try this fix, noise is driving me CRAZY.

10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

After disassembling I found that the rubber part of the bushing where it contacts the frame was totally gone and the bare metal was hammering on the frame.

Ozymandias , Oct 26, 2019
  11. Musicianized

Ball joints clunk on my 05. (Well, did lol]

Musicianized , Oct 26, 2019
  12. mymtnhauler

Okay that was strange! Hope you got that?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    mymtnhauler , Nov 4, 2019
  13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

@mymtnhauler it us not to bad to change them.
    I had to loose all 8 bolts for 5 turns, then I turned out the four bolts on the riverside, then I lifted this side of the cab with a workshop jack just enough to slide out the bushings. Changed the four bushings on this side. Let the cab down, installed to bolt but didn't turn them all the way in. Went to the other side and did the same.
    Then torqued down all bolts with the tq wrench.
    Done.
    Give 2 hours for it if all bolts come out fine.
    I heard from vehicles with badly rusted bolts, even some had rusted if bolts that were missing.

Ozymandias , Nov 5, 2019