Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead

I searched before posting but I couldn't get a satisfactory answer. At 113,000 mi, my stock "Y" steering rods has a bad ball joint on it. SYNERGY is back ordered. My friend works for them in San Luis Obispo, ca.
    So what is the best replacement? Most seem to say, Stay with the "Y" type.

Motorhead , Dec 17, 2020
  2. GrantP TDR MEMBER

Whatever you do, ditch the Y-style. I'm happy with the mopar upgrade and it's reasonably priced. Tire wear will be much more even with the T-style. My Y-style lasted about as long as yours did and ditching it was a huge improvement.

GrantP , Dec 17, 2020
    Motorhead likes this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Get rid of the Y, change to the global standard T. Way better!
    Get it aligned to Thuren Specs* and enjoy a steering feel like it is in a Gen4+.

*very important - do not use factory specs with the T. No no.

Ozymandias , Dec 17, 2020
    kuss and Motorhead like this.
  4. Motorhead

I'm hoping that a Synergy, complete set is going to show up in a week or so. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Ozy, is there a link to the "Thuren Specs."?

Motorhead , Dec 17, 2020
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/media/wysiwyg/THUREN_FAB_ALIGNMENT.pdf

When I replaced the steering on my 05 several years ago I stayed with the Y type, since at the time the T type was just a series of recalls and wasn't worth my time/money to be R&D for FCA.

I was told that Mevotech was the company to go with for Y type replacement, and I was very happy with their products.

It's been a while since the last recall on T steering so today I'd probably get OEM T steering, ensuring the latest part number, and align to thuren specs.

Too many mixed reviews on synergy products so I personally wouldn't go that route.

AH64ID , Dec 17, 2020
    Motorhead likes this.
  6. Motorhead

What's the main issue with Synergy?

Motorhead , Dec 17, 2020
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I've read about QC issues, joint alignment issues, and more than a couple with customer service issues trying to deal with them. The latter is the icing on the cake, I can deal with occasional issues but a company that won't back their product is an issue. For me it came down to those issues and the OEM being cheaper/warrantied and easier to get reimbursed since I was part of the V06 recall.

AH64ID , Dec 17, 2020
    Motorhead and Ozymandias like this.
  8. Motorhead

Ozy, John, Thanks for the Info.

Motorhead , Dec 18, 2020
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. cerberusiam Staff Member

Stay with the y-type. The t-type steering is a hack fix and has issues all the way around in most cases. Unless you are running a lift and constantly cycling the suspension on rough surfaces the y-type works fine.

The synergy parts are a better solution than OE but even they have issues crop up. Cross over steering is by far the best all-around solution, just a lot harder to build or install.

cerberusiam , Dec 18, 2020
    Jim W likes this.
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I really don't see what can be wrong with the T - the T is state of the Art and works perfect.

I finally got a Truck that doesn't steer like an old chuck wagon and tracks fine. It never did it with the Y and factory alignment specs.

Ozymandias , Dec 18, 2020
  11. Motorhead

cerb, I knew you like the "Y" steering too. I don't know.
    Up until the one joint got loose on the steering rod, I had no complaints about my steering. I bought the truck new and it has 113,000 miles on it now. On most roads with normal crown, you could let go of the wheel and the truck ran straight and true. I have never aligned it.

Motorhead , Dec 18, 2020
  12. cerberusiam Staff Member

T-type is hardly state of the art. It has been abandoned longer that it was in production and was an issue the whole time it was used, just like the Fords. Crossover steering is the latest design on all solid axles trucks. There are still issues with the NVH they try to implement but fin general it is the most predictable and effect setup.

I would not do another t-type setup, ever. If I needed the efficacy and control it would be crossover steering. If it was mainly a road truck on basically stock suspension then I would stay with the y-type and use the newer specs. If you went away form stock spec son the y-type it was much a better feel.

Jim W likes this.
  13. GrantP TDR MEMBER

While I agree that crossover steering is great, it is far from the "latest design". My 1982 CJ and 2003 WJ Jeeps both came from the factory with crossover steering. The T-style is much closer to emulating a crossover setup than a Y-style.

GrantP , Dec 18, 2020
  14. DonFitzwater

https://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Dodge-Off-Road-Crossover-Steering-Kit_p_106.html

Is this like what you are talking about?

DonFitzwater , Dec 18, 2020
  15. Motorhead

So who's "Y" type would you recommend? Can you still get it from Dodge? I only want to do this once. (Not trying to start a "What brand of oil" war)

Motorhead , Dec 18, 2020
  16. cerberusiam Staff Member

Just not in these trucks until 2013/2014 so for them it is the "latest" evolution.

That is one style using heims. No experience with them and how they wear. Heims have a nasty habit of wearing and introducing slack. If a sealed greasable heim or a johnny joint could be used they would last longer for sure.

Not many choices left, Moog or MevoTech if I remember right. Not sure there is much difference between all of them to warrant a choice.

Motorhead likes this.
  17. NIsaacs

NIsaacs , Dec 18, 2020
    Motorhead likes this.
  18. Superdawg TDR MEMBER

Reference that Moog assembly for a 2007: Rock Auto Moog DS800980A (cross references to 52122362AL)
    vs 2009: Rock Auto Moog DS800981A (********cross references to same 52122362AL) Same part, $84 cheaper!
    I ran into this a while back and bought the 2009 part for my 2004.5. Fits great. I apologize for not bringing it up sooner.

Superdawg , Dec 18, 2020
    Motorhead likes this.
  19. cerberusiam Staff Member

Both are the t-type assemblies not the y-type.

20. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You didn't say what's actually wrong with the T- Style.
    For me and many more TDR Members it works just great and we wouldn't want to o back to the old Style.

Ozymandias , Dec 19, 2020