Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverboy

Hello all, I have some good news I finally found my dream truck and pulled the trigger on it today. Had to drive 150 miles to get it but well worth it and loved the drive home. I drove home a 06 3500 QCLB with about 86k on it. I do have a question. The trip computer is not working and the original owner stated I needed to take it to the dealer and have the software upgraded and this is why its not on. Is this the case or should I be worried about something more?

Riverboy , Feb 14, 2010
  2. Grizzly

Congratulations on the new (to you) truck and welcome to TDR.

I never heard of having the dealer upgraded the software on the overhead computer. Check the fuse or make sure it's not on the off cycle. Read the owners manual on how to reset the overhead.

Grizzly , Feb 14, 2010
  3. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

When you say the overhead isn't working, is it giving you what I call the "blank stare"? The display shows "--" for everything except the timer function?

Ryan

rbattelle , Feb 14, 2010
  4. TRowatt

Hello and welcome I have been a long time lurker here and am now trying to actively post and be part of the community. Enjoy your new (to you) truck. May you have many good miles with it.

TRowatt , Feb 14, 2010
  5. jgillott TDR MEMBER

Welcome to TDR. I'm sure you will enjoy your new truck. :)

jgillott , Feb 14, 2010
  6. Riverboy

Ryan, it doesn't show anything. . like the truck is off. I am hoping its a fuse, I have also noticed the cig lighter and power petals don't work either. The manual doesn't help much. I was going to take it to the dealer and ask them if they have ever ran into this.

Thanks, and yes to the rest of you I love my truck and all its power. Quite the upgrade from a 1990 4runner with a 3. slow in it.

Riverboy , Feb 14, 2010
  7. Riverboy

Yeah that would be power pedals not petals... . sorry

Riverboy , Feb 14, 2010
  8. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

If you pull the fuse box cover there's an imprint on the back side that tells what all the fuses are. I thought it was also in the manual...

Ryan

rbattelle , Feb 15, 2010
  9. Riverboy

Yep your right and even stopped by the local stealership to see if they can help... Nada, they wanted 90 bucks to check it out. I will spend the 90 on a factory shop manual. All the fuses are good but still no power to the overhead trip console. The previous owner had new batteries put in and the shop he took it to said he would need to go to dodge and have them reset or update the software for it... never heard of that before.

Riverboy , Feb 17, 2010
  10. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

That's not right. It's amazing what people will say.

I'm thinking you might have a bad module somewhere. Perhaps the Front Control Module? Problem is, the 2006 uses the "Totally Integrated Power Module", so electrical diagnostics are exceptionally difficult without a DRB-III. At least, that's the impression I get from the wiring diagrams.

Ryan

rbattelle , Feb 17, 2010
  11. HOBrian

Do you have cab lights on your truck by any chance?? If so maybe at sometime they took the overhead down to work on them and when they put it all back together they forgot to reconnect the plug. :confused::confused:

HOBrian , Feb 19, 2010
  12. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Overhead is on fuse 23, Pedals on fuse 32, power outlet on fuse 1, 38, or 40 depending on dash or console. Check power and grounds first. They all go through the C219 connector (large 74 way under the dash).

sag2 , Feb 19, 2010
  13. R.Taylor

Sounds maybe like an FCM issue. My 06 MC had an inoperable sunroof and power pedals... I beat myself silly then remembered I am under warranty. The dealer reflashed the FCM and some other module and now everything works.

R.Taylor , Feb 20, 2010
  14. Riverboy

In response to alot of your advice, I am very happy to be apart of this online group per say otherwise I probably would have lost alot of sleep and money without you guys.

I had some issues tonight with the blinkers, wipers, and hazards not working and was getting frustrated that I just spent alot of $ buying this truck to have issues a week later. I did unhook where the pwr lead that runs the edge and had set the hazards on just in case I fixed something and they started blinking and sure enough they did! So for now the Edge is unhooked and my blinkers,wipers,hazards work. Tomorrow I am going to try the battery lead next to the PCM, and just follow all of your advice.

All that to say I thankyou for all your support!

Riverboy , Feb 21, 2010
  15. Riverboy

Its a wrap. All is working. Had a loose connection at the pwr pedals and up in the overhead computer.

Riverboy , Feb 27, 2010
  16. HOBrian

Good to hear!!!Oo.

HOBrian , Mar 1, 2010