Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam973

Hey Guys. I went in to the dealer within the past week for trouble with the remote start on my truck. The engine would start up and then shut off and restart several times. The dealer told me that the motor was shutting down because it detected low amps in the batteries. He said the capacity in them was going and that was why the remote start was shutting down (this sounds like B. S. to me... How would the truck keep starting if this was true?) Anyway... . if I do go with new batteries, whats the best out there that fits a 2006 Ram? Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the remote start issue? Seems odd that the motor would keep cranking if the batteries were getting that low...

Thanks in advance.

Sam973 , Feb 23, 2010
  2. jelag

This sounds strange to me also... I assume that if you start it with the key all is fine???

I have an 04 with new batteries. . my 04. 5, 05, & 08 still all have their OE batteries...

When I replaced the batteries in my 04 I bought them at Costco... great price, national warranty... and their still in the truck... I'm looking more at cost per mile. . and we've done well with Costco batteries in the older trucks we've owned and later sold... .

jelag , Feb 23, 2010
  3. Sam973

Yup, when I start it up with the key it stays running. It also never has any of the signs of a battery losing reserves. I have never needed a jump, even on the coldest mornings. It just seems like it is not the problem to me. Plus, who would design a system to shut down when amp reserve is showing low? Wouldn't you want it to stay running and idle up? the answer from the dealer seems like total B. S. to me... .

Sam973 , Feb 24, 2010
  4. Grizzly

I too support Costco batteries. I've had great luck with them and they have one of the best prices and the best warranties.

Grizzly , Feb 24, 2010
  5. FOXY005 TDR MEMBER

I would take it somewhere that sells batteries and have them do a load test on the batteries. That will tell you if they are good or not.

FOXY005 , Feb 24, 2010
  6. jelag

Sam

From what you say, you have something wrong with the remote start feature... I assume its not a factory unit... Maybe dealer installed but not factory... I believe that the system is not opening the fuel shut off after the start, or not powering the fuel pumps...

In either case it would run and than restart... as an example, when the key is turned on the fuel pump is activated for 20 seconds or so... I'm guessing that the truck would run for maybe a minute or 2 before it ran out of fuel if the fuel pump didn't see any more power than what was supplied during the start process... after start a different circuit has to supply power to the pump so if you loose oil pressure that circuit will turn off...

Hope this makes some sense...

jelag , Feb 24, 2010
  7. Sam973

Jim

Your right, it was not factory installed, but it was a mopar unit installed by the dealer. Your description is pretty spot on except for the run time. Sometimes it runs for a minute shuts and restarts, shuts and restarts. Sometimes shorter, some times longer. I never thought it was the batteries since it had enough juice to keep turning the moter over. Now the question becomes how do I fix this?

Sam973 , Feb 24, 2010
  8. jelag

Sam

I'm not a tech and have an understanding of what goes on... a good tech should be able to track this down with no trouble and I bet any scan tool can tell you what is on and what is not on that should be on...

jelag , Feb 24, 2010
  9. juicedcummins

Are you using the remote with a key in the ignition?... . another key in the cab? My aftermarket remote start will sense the chip in the factory key after it has started and shut down if it is in the ignition or even in the cup holder. Leave keys on the passenger seat and mine will work.

There is a good chance it has to do with the security bypass,either a key too close to ignition or faulty bypass.

juicedcummins , Feb 24, 2010
  10. MRaynor

I worked at an auto accesory place over the holidays installing remote starters, and we had a Grand Caravan come in with the same problem you are describing. Turned out one of the connectors on the remote unit under the dash was just loose enough, where it would start the van, but the vibration made one of the pins lose enough contact to make it shut down.

MRaynor , Feb 25, 2010
  11. Sam973

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses guys. Got busy with the snow storm that came through here. Trucks all made it through ok. When I get some time this week I will start trying to trouble shoot this. I think I'm going to start by going to a battery shop to get them tested. After working the truck in the storm for almost two days, pretty much non stop, I am almost convinced it cant be the batteries. The plow, salter and lights I run are all electric and would have caused issues if the batteries were on their way out. Its just too bad the dealer couldn't sort this out when they had my truck for a day and a half...

Sam973 , Feb 28, 2010
  12. RonD

Costco or Sam's Club, there both made by Johnson Controls, very good quality, about 75-80 bucks each, and they do the install.

RonD , Feb 28, 2010
  13. twmcneilly

I too have the Mopar remote start. I installed it myself a couple of years ago. It worked fine until last year when I was getting all sorts of oddities; like the alarm going off after the 20 second grid heater delay, and getting Invalid SKIM codes, and a number of issues.

I replaced the batteries in both the Key fob remote and the Remote Start remote, then cleared the trouble codes (thank you Smarty) and the problem went away... ... for a year.

Just recently I have had spotty success with the remote start so I tried the battery replacement solution again. This time no joy. Although you never really know whether the batteries you are buying are in any better condition that the one's you're replacing.

Now with 'fresh' batteries int eh remotes and remote start only working occasionally, I am suspecting loose connections in the system but have not found the time to TS yet.

My truck batteries are '06 originals but they work just fine for everyday key starts.

Have you tried the battery replacement in the fobs?

twmcneilly , Mar 1, 2010
  14. JLEONARD

My guess is that one of the connections is getting a bit of corrosion and reducing the voltage to the remote module.

Nothing wrong with the battery.

JLEONARD , Mar 1, 2010