Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliff in Redlands

Hello all. New member, first post.
    I'm taking my 17 Ram in to dealer for some recalls (ecm reflash, drag link, tailgate latch) in the a.m. and I have the dreaded turbo actuator codes. With 53xxx miles I obviously have power train warranty but none on the electronics. I spoke with the service manager in depth and he stated he's had dozens of actuator failures, but only 2 or 3 actual turbo failures. He also said the new actuator is $2K plus labor.

I see a lot of recommendations to always use the exhaust brake as a way to keep the blades clean and avoid future problems. Logic would lead me to conclude that a mechanical failure in the turbo actually causes the actuator failure and should be covered under the PT warranty.

My big question is: Has anyone successfully argued that the VGT being stuck is what caused the actuator failure and thus gotten warranty coverage.

Cliff in Redlands , Oct 7, 2019
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

IMHO that is part of the power train warranty.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 7, 2019
  3. Cliff in Redlands

Obviously, I agree with you. The warranty department may not.

4. DonFitzwater

You need to go to mopar.com and plug in your trucks VIN and read what is covered. It can change from year to year and we'd all be guessing anyway. I was told by my dealer that exhaust manifolds (5.7 Hemi) weren't covered under my powertrain warranty but after searching for it via Mopar.com and printing off the actual covered items in black and white, the dealer changed their tune and covered the exhaust manifold leakage.

DonFitzwater , Oct 7, 2019
    AH64ID and JR like this.
  5. Cliff in Redlands

Thanks for the link and info!

6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Good call Don!!!

Cummins12V98 , Oct 7, 2019
  7. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Anything and everything on the exhaust side of the head falls under the federal laws epa laws for warranty. Not power train don’t let the dealer Bs you by saying it’s not covered.

EDankievitch , Oct 8, 2019
  8. Ram4Sam TDR MEMBER

If he goes to the Ram dealer in Redlands, there is a pretty good chance of that happening......:mad:

Sam

Ram4Sam , Oct 8, 2019
  9. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I used my 18 VIN and the labor operation to check coverage. Here is what the warranty system says for the actuator.

COVERED UNDER THE 5/50 HEAVY DUTY EMISSION WARRANTY

sag2 , Oct 8, 2019
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I am fairly certain the CA law is 100k, check it out.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 8, 2019
  11. RVTRKN

That would be emissions warranty, and it depends on state laws, Comifornia should be @ 80-100K.

RVTRKN , Oct 8, 2019
  12. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Well as if right on cue.. My truck threw a lost communication with turbo actuator code U010 something. After reading on here and calling Geno’s I put in a call to CityDiesel and have an actuator kit in the mail.
    So far this year I’ve had to do brakes tires all the front end parts including Ball joints an now this... I should have put my almost 4K in parts into that new Ford that keeps teasing me on the dealers lot. I just want 5 years with out a monthly payment. This Ram has proven its not the Dodge Ram of Old. I’m really disappointed in how it has held up. 119k miles two sets of ball joints and. Ok I screwed up installing the XRF parts they didn’t last and they don’t answer when you call about their million mile warranty. But everything else... So much for “Quality is Job 1”
    Before everyone jumps on me. Brakes an tires are consumables but the way the rotors “hot spotted” and failed. Not good. All the bushings on both the track bar and control arms also failed . I’ve had this front end design on 4 trucks now and never had bushing failures like these failed. If anything this truck has had an easy life compared to its predecessors. Quality has tanked and this truck continues to prove it.
    Back to the turbo I just hope it’ll stay running until the parts come in. I hope this part from City Diesel lives fixes it once and for all. The turbo that is....

EDankievitch , Oct 15, 2019
    McDowra and CAROLINA CUMMINS like this.
  13. Cliff in Redlands

An update: the EPA warranty on my 17 model, the actuator was covered up to 50K. I had 52K. Other major exhaust components such as the turbo itself are covered to 70K. The bumper to bumper expired at 36K.
    After a tense couple of days during my Ram's 8 day visit to the dealership thinking i was going to have to pay for the $360 diagnosis fee, the car rental for four days, and still have to source the $2000 part and fix it myself, my extended warranty , Portfolio, agreed to pay for the repairs and my car rental less my $100 deductible.
    So to answer my own original question, I, at least, was not able to convince them the turbo caused it.
    I hope this one lasts longer...
    Thanks for all the tips.

Cliff in Redlands , Oct 15, 2019
    CAROLINA CUMMINS likes this.
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Use the Exhaust brake as often as possible, use the GO Pedal to the floor occasionally - that keeps the vanes moving freely, this keeps the actuator from burning.

Ozymandias , Oct 16, 2019
  15. CAROLINA CUMMINS

So City Diesel actuator will work on '13+ ??

CAROLINA CUMMINS , Oct 16, 2019
  16. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Yes and No. they have an adapter plate that you need in order to use the Actuator. All said an done it’s $850 for all the parts needed.

EDankievitch , Oct 16, 2019
  17. R.Taylor

Not trying to hijack the post here but.....

"I should have put my almost 4K in parts into that new Ford that keeps teasing me on the dealers lot."

Ford is just getting into the death wobble nonsense where as RAM/Dodge has for the most part sorted it out. I bought a brand new 2019 F250 6.7l on 8/24/19..... Since then, It's been in service for 46 days and in my garage for 8..... Yes, 8 days total I have had it in my possession, I've put less than 350 miles on it. Ford is repurchasing it and I will never own another Ford.

R.Taylor , Oct 16, 2019
    JR and DonFitzwater like this.
  18. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

That sucks. Well... maybe Toyota will pick up the 5 lyrics Cummins. I miss my old truck. The 89 or the 05 those trucks just worked no headaches

EDankievitch , Oct 16, 2019
  19. MRFost

The front end on my '05 was junk. That was for sure one of the reasons I got a fresh truck. I trust this one will be better than the last in that regard.

MRFost , Oct 16, 2019
  20. Signal73

I’d figure the turbo was part of the 100k engine warranty but it seems it is not?

Signal73 , Oct 18, 2019