1. GSP7

Just got a OE Air cleaner box and 3 hose pieces for my new to me 2005 to replace previous owners K&N "modification"

Got the Box all cleaned up (lot of scrubbing) looks excellent, nothing cracked or broken off. But the 3 piece hoses have some rust red crap spilled all over them that I cant get off and I dont like that plastic center piece contraption with the X baffle thing-ma-jig either

What after market hose form OE box to Turbo are available ? I've seen the "Cool Hose" and there is another one by AFE

Cool- https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/cool-hose-intake-hose-03-07-cummins

AFE- https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/afe-torque-booster-tube-03-07-cummins

Any others? The AFE looks like a solid plastic material . Which do you guys like best?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    GSP7 , Jun 3, 2023
    Michaelsloft and Darkbloodmon like this.
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

If I think I understand about the thingamajig you're talking about it's an air straightener to keep the air flow straight into the turbo inlet.

sag2 , Jun 3, 2023
    brucejohnson and Ozymandias like this.
  3. GSP7

Been soaking the elbo hoses in vinegar to try and get the rust looking crap off, alot of scrubing . Got one fairly clean

Any opinions on these aftermarket intake to turbo hoses? Cool hose or AFE

GSP7 , Jun 3, 2023
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Any photos?

I was never a fan of the cool hose because it did away with the directional vanes just before the turbo that improve airflow.

AH64ID , Jun 3, 2023
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Put them into the dishwasher, Max Programm.
    That cleans almost everything.
    2x tablets of cleaning agent.

Ozymandias , Jun 3, 2023
  6. User113 TDR MEMBER

Just do it when your wife's not home!

User113 , Jun 3, 2023
  7. GSP7

There is something of a advantage of more air velocity in a smaller volume intake or smaller heads ports that will give more broad power ban than just giant port or hole for a Air volume and not as much velocity

I was going to put the plastic section with the veins in the dish washer. Its soaking in a bucket of water with dish liquid right now.

GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  8. Regcabguy

Same here. I bought into the Kool Aid. It cleans up the engine bay and is well made but I didn't see any improvement in mpg.
    I'd leave the intake intact. The engineers figured out what works best.

Regcabguy , Jun 4, 2023
    Ozymandias, brucejohnson and AH64ID like this.
  9. GSP7

I saw some pictures of someone that had directional veins in his rubber elbows also. Dont know if the veins were something he made, took out of some other vehicle, or bought aftermarket

Anyone have a link to that?

I have the K&N plastic 'S' tube that previous owner put on my truck. Ill have to measure the diameter but it could possibly be cut a little shorter to line up with the OE filter box installed

https://www.knfilters.com/dodge/ram-3500/5.9l-l6-diesel/2005/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

In the factory elbow?

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
  11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Lower factory elbow has veins - at least my 04.5

Ozymandias , Jun 4, 2023
    Cumminsboy77 likes this.
  12. GSP7

Got pictures anywhere of that?

The box and elbows I bought from a guy here doesnt have veins in either elbow, just the middle plastic section. Not sure if they are just missing or if ever had is. I didnt notice any indication(marks) inside the elbows that there was ever a vein insert in there. IIRC of the pic I saw the veins in the elbow were white plastic

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

03-04 no directional veins, 04.5-07 had directional veins.

I read an article once that said they improved turbo efficiency by 30%. I’m guessing that was at low airflow.

Those veins are the reason I used the Airraid MIT instead of another intake tube.

I don’t have any pics with me if it.

Sounds like an 03-04 intake.

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
  14. GSP7

Can you provide a link to this Airraid you are referring to that you put on your truck
    Google search comes up with a bunch of different stuff. So no clue what you are talking about

GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023
  15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

16. GSP7

GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023
  17. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yes, it’s hollow with a constant taper that smooths the flow into the lower elbow.

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
  18. slowmover

• AIRAID increases turbulence. Not MPG friendly. The T/C gets out of whack transitioning from light throttle to heavy and back again.

• The stock set-up is best. The 04.5 and later with turning vanes is better yet.

slowmover , Jun 4, 2023
  19. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

lol… you obviously never seen the inside to the stock tube :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The stock tube makes a ton of turbulence. It’s designed to muffle the turbo, not improve airflow.

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
    slowmover likes this.
  20. GSP7

Im looking at this OE middle plastic middle piece with the thick X vein inside. And it does also have "side chamber baffles" design. Those could be to trap turbo noise. Even the X baffle has thousands of little round recesses molded into it. It looks to me like it would restrict smooth air flow. Better off just putting a 5" PVC pipe in the middle. Or just use a cool hose or AFE 'S' tube

GSP7 , Jun 4, 2023